New Bounds on the Clique Number of Graphs Based on Spectral Hypergraph Theory
This work introduces new bounds on the clique number of graphs derived from a result due to Sós and Straus, which generalizes the Motzkin-Straus Theorem to a specific class of hypergraphs. In particular, we generalize and improve the spectral bounds introduced by Wilf in 1967 and 1986 establishing an interesting link between the clique number and the emerging spectral hypergraph theory field. In order to compute the bounds we face the problem of extracting the leading H-eigenpair of supersymmetric tensors, which is still uncovered in the literature. To this end, we provide two approaches to serve the purpose. Finally, we present some preliminary experimental results.
KeywordsRandom Graph Undirected Graph Spectral Radius Maximum Clique Generalize Polynomial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lovás, L.: On the Shannon capacity of a graph. IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory IT-25, 1–7 (1979)Google Scholar
- 9.Sós, V., Straus, E.G.: Extremal of functions on graphs with applications to graphs and hypergraphs. J. Combin. Theory Series B 63, 189–207 (1982)Google Scholar
- 10.Lim, L.H.: Singular values and eigenvalues of tensors: a variational approach. In: IEEE Int. Workshop on Comput. Adv. in Multi-Sensor Adapt. Processing, vol. 1, pp. 129–132 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Berthod, M.: Definition of a consistent labeling as a global extremum. In: Int. Conf. Patt. Recogn., pp. 339–341 (1982)Google Scholar
- 15.Rota Bulò, S.: A game-theoretic framework for similarity-based data clustering. PhD Thesis. Work in progress (2009)Google Scholar