The Use of ICT to Support Students with Dyslexia
The Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (K.U.Leuven) has a tradition of supporting students with a disability in order to guarantee equal opportunities to achieve their educational, personal and vocational goals. The K.U.Leuven policy is working towards inclusive education in the long term, by improving facilities and accommodation for certain target groups in the short term. Efforts have also been directed to make the learning environment more accessible for all kind of students, especially over the last few years. One of the target groups that has increasing numbers are students with learning disabilities (including dyslexia, dyscalculia, ...). To accommodate these students, the K.U.Leuven set off a project to evaluate the use of assistive technology (AT) for dyslexia. This small-scale study examined the experiences of two groups of students with dyslexia using 2 different software programs specifically developed to support this group of students. It was apparent that for students with dyslexia, reading and studying presents additional limitations which AT could facilitate to some extent.
KeywordsPeople with disabilities Dyslexia Assistive Technology Accessibility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.van Dyslexie, D.: Brochure Stichting Dyslexie Nederland. Revised edn. (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Broenink, N., et al.: Studeren met een handicap, p. 25. Verwey-Jonker Instituut (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Higher Education Statistics Agency, Students and Qualifiers Data Tables, http://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php/component/option,com_datatables/Itemid,121/task,show_category/catdex,3/#disab (accessed 10/07/09)
- 4.Fougeyrollas, P.: Québec: Cqcidih/Sscdih (1995b)Google Scholar
- 5.Dimmitt, S., Hodapp, J., Judas, C., Munn, C., Rachow, C.: Iowa Text Reader Project Impacts Student Achievement. Closing the Gap 24(6), 12–13 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.OOP project, Verhoogde toegankelijkheid van onderwijsgerichte ICT toepassingen voor personen met een functiebeperking (K.U.Leuven funded project, 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.K.U.Leuven Working Group on Digital Accessibility, http://www.kuleuven.be/digitaletoegankelijkheid/werkgroep.html
- 9.Kurzweil3000, http://www.kesi.com/kurz3000.aspx (accessed 10/07/09)
- 10.Sprint, http://www.jabbla.com/software/products.asp?Lid=4&pnav=;2;&item=11&lang=en (accessed 10/07/09)
- 12.Jabbla, http://www.jabbla.com
- 13.K.U.Leuven Disability Team, http://www.kuleuven.be/studentservices/disability.html (accessed 10/07/09)