Usability Testing of the Information Search Agent: Interface Design Issues
Effectiveness of information technology use is one of the key issues influencing overall organization performance. Interface design of applications needs to support users in every day work activities. We propose a general methodology for testing the quality of software applications interfaces. Methods were verified in the research aimed at the usability testing of the information search agent for advanced retrieval of internet information (Copernic Agent Professional). The main methods used in our research were think-aloud protocols, but also interviews and observations. Paper characterizes the key findings together with recommendations for application performance improvements.
KeywordsSearch Tool Usability Test Information Search Affective Behavior Advance Search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bush, V.: As we may think. Atlantic (1945), http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/194507/bush
- 2.Luck, M.: Best-kept secret agent revealed. Computer Weekly (October 12, 2006), http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/10/12/219087/best-kept-secret-agent-revealed.htm
- 3.Luck, M., McBurney, P., Sherory, O., Willmott, S.: Agent technology: Computing as Interaction: A roadmap for agent based computing. Agentlink III (2005), http://www.agentlink.org/roadmap/al3rm.pdf
- 4.Tenenbaum, J.M.: AI Meets Web 2.0: Building the Web of Tommorow, Today. CommerceNet Labs Technical Report 05-07 (December 2005), http://wiki.commerce.net/images/a/a2/CN-TR-05-07.pdf
- 5.Allsopp, J.: Microformats: empowering your markup for Web 2.0. Friends of Ed (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Microformats, Last update (May 27, 2009), http://microformats.org
- 7.Copernic Agent Proffesional, http://www.copernic.com/en/products/agent/professional.html
- 8.Greskova, M.: Cognitive foundations of information science: interaction of human with information search agent [PhD thesis], Comenius University, Bratislava, FFUK (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.CamStudio, http://camstudio.org
- 10.FreeMind, http://freemind.sourceforge.net
- 11.Greskova, M., Steinerova, J.: Relevance in the light of interactive revolution: interplay between human and information search agent. In: Human-computer interaction and information services, pp. 1–14. ÚISK, Praha (2008)Google Scholar