Computer-aided Design of Art Patterns
Art pattern creation by fractals. It is based on the principles of fractal geometry, and performs the numerical calculation by the iterative function system. The output of the numerical data are colored to generate the resultant art patterns.
Art pattern creation by shape grammars. Shape grammars specify a mechanism for selecting and performing recursive rules for shape computations. The computer handles the representation and computation of shapes, rules, and the presentation of correct design alternatives. This frees the designer to specify, explore, develop design languages in terms of the shape grammar, and select alternatives for the desirable art patterns.
Layout-based creation of art patterns. Three basic layout-based art pattern design methods are presented: (a) How to convert the graphical layout into the resulting art patterns in terms of the specified structure of craftwork. (b) How to create an aesthetic layout of an art pattern by the regular layout. (c) How to automatically/semi-automatically place the user specified graphical entities by a specific artistic style.
Knowledge-based creation of art patterns. The artificial intelligence techniques are employed to represent the design knowledge and aesthetic conventions of art patterns, and then generate the resultant art patterns by reasoning on them.
KeywordsPrimitive Element Iterate Function System Regular Layout Shape Grammar Growth Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Falconer K(2003) Fractal geometry mathematical foundations and applications. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Geng WD, Pan YH(1999) Representation of generation-oriented aesthetic layout. Journal Of Computer-aided Design and Computer Graphics 11(3):193–195 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Gooch B, Coombe G, Shirley P(2002) Artistic vision: painterly rendering using simple vision algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Non-photorealistic Animation and Rendering 83–91Google Scholar
- Kaplan M, Cohen E(2003) Computer generated Celtic design. In: Proceedings of the 14th Eurographics Workshop on Rendering 9–19Google Scholar
- Kaplan CS, Salesin DH(2000) Escherization. In: Proceedings of the 27th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques 499–510Google Scholar
- Kaplan CS, Salesin DH(2004) Dihedral Escherization. In: Proceedings of the 2004 Conference on Graphics Interface 255–262Google Scholar
- Lu WL, Pan WH, Jiang JD(1996) Pattern-generating mechanism based on fuzzy grammar. Chinese Journal of Computers 19(8):636–640 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Lu WL, Pan WH, Jiang JD(1997) A methed for 2D-shape design. Journal of Computer-aided Design and Computer Graphics 9(5) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Luo XH, Wen G, Jia Y(2004) Study on the method of decorative pattern of ceramic product based on fractal theory. China Ceramic Industry 11(3):25–28 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Mandelbrot BB(1982) The fractal geometry of nature. W.H. Freeman and Company, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Miyata K(1990) A method of generating stone wall patterns. ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics 24(4):387–394Google Scholar
- Pan YH(1996) The theory of synthesis reasoning. Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence 9(3):201–208 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Pan YH et al.(2002) Intelligent CAD system for art pattern creation.Technical Report, Institute of Artificial Intelligence, Zhejiang University (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Suffern KG(2002) Painting with light. In: Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques 143–146Google Scholar
- Tapia M(1999) A visual implementation of a shape grammar system. Environment and Planning B:Planning and Design 26(1):59–73Google Scholar
- Wei BG, Pang XB, Zhu WH, Pan YH(2006) Using texture render in fractal pattern design. Journal Of Image And Graphics 11(5):689–694 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wong MT, Zongker DE, Salesin DH(1998) Computer-generated floral ornament. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques 423–434Google Scholar
- Yessios CI(1979) Computer drafting of stones, wood, plant and ground materials. ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics 13(2):190–198Google Scholar
- Zhang LL, Lu DM, Pan YH, Jan ZS(2000) The generation model of pattern design knowledge based on synthesis reasoning. Journal of Computer-aided Design and Computer Graphics 12(5):384–389 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhang LL, Lu DM, Pan YH(2001) The synthetically generation of pattern element based on eigenvector. Journal of Image and Graphics, 6(6):547–551 (in Chinese)Google Scholar