On CFD Simulation of Ski Jumping
Numerical analyses have been performed on a generic ski jumper in flight based on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) flow codes and a geometric simulation of the jumper with skis. Various configurations have been simulated and results are presented for several body/ski positions and flight angles. A theoretical analysis of the performance of the ski jumper is also briefly presented. In addition, a proposal for new jumping skis design is described as an outcome from the present numerical analysis.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The presented work was performed for Olympiatoppen and the Norwegian Ski Federation prior to the Olympic Winter Games in Lillehammer, Norway in 1994 under the auspices of jumping Coach Trond Jøran Pedersen. Hence, it represents an early task to analyze a ski jumper in flight and not a review of similar simulations at that time and the authors would like to acknowledge the fundamental contributions from Erland Ørbekk and Ernst Meese.
- 1.Hanavan, Jr., E.P., A personalized mathematical model of the human body, AIAA Paper No. 65–498, 1965.Google Scholar
- 2.Eriksson, L-E., Transfinite Mesh Generation and Computer-Aided Analysis of Mesh Effects, Ph.D. thesis, Uppsala University, 1984.Google Scholar
- 3.Eriksson, L-E., Practical Three-Dimensional Mesh Generation Using Transfinite Interpolation, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 6, No. 3, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Ørbekk, E., Algebraic and Elliptic Grid Generation for CFD Applications, Ph.D. thesis, Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.Øye, I.J., On the Aero thermodynamic Effects on Space Vehicles, Ph.D. thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.Søyseth, O., Aerodynamisk analyse av ulike hoppski (in Norwegian), M.Sc. thesis, Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim, 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.Nørstrud, H. (Ed.), Sport Aerodynamics, CISM Courses and Lectures, vol. 506, Springer, NewYork, 2008, pp. 183–216 and pp. 217–228.Google Scholar