Scheduling Recurrent Precedence-Constrained Task Graphs on a Symmetric Shared-Memory Multiprocessor
We consider approaches that allow task migration for scheduling recurrent directed-acyclic-graph (DAG) tasks on symmetric, shared-memory multiprocessors (SMPs) in order to meet a given throughput requirement with fewer processors. Within the scheduling approach proposed, we present a heuristic based on grouping DAG subtasks for lowering the end-to-end latency and an algorithm for computing an upper bound on latency. Unlike prior work, the purpose of the grouping here is not to map the subtask groups to physical processors, but to generate aggregated entities, each of which can be treated as a single schedulable unit to lower latency. Evaluation using synthetic task sets shows that our approach can lower processor needs considerably while incurring only a modest increase in latency. In contrast to the work presented herein, most prior work on scheduling recurrent DAGs has been for distributed-memory multiprocessors, and has therefore mostly been concerned with statically mapping DAG subtasks to processors.
KeywordsTask Graph Incoming Edge Schedule Approach Execution Cost Sporadic Task
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Guirado, F., Ripoll, A., Roig, C., Luque, E.: Optimizing latency under throughput requirements for streaming applications on cluster execution. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, September 2005, pp. 1–10 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Kazempour, V., Fedorova, A., Alagheband, P.: Performance implications of cache affinity on multicore processors. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Parallel Computing, August 2008, pp. 151–162 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Srinivasan, A., Anderson, J.: Optimal rate-based scheduling on multiprocessors. In: Proceedings of the 34th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, May 2002, pp. 189–198 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Subhlok, J., Vondran, G.: Optimal mapping of sequences of data parallel tasks. In: Proceedings of the 5th ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming, July 1995, pp. 134–143 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Subhlok, J., Vondran, G.: Optimal latency-throughput tradeoffs for data parallel machines. In: Proceedings of the 8th ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, June 1996, pp. 62–71 (1996)Google Scholar