A Statistical and Iterative Method for Data Hiding in Palette-Based Images
This paper proposes an improved iterative method for data hiding in palette-based images, taking into account the statistics of the data that need to be embedded in an image. In particular, the proposed method considers the distribution of the number of zeroes and ones in the input message, as well as how the message bits are distributed over the colors in the image palette. First, according to the statistics of the input message, the proposed method modifies the pixel indexes and the color palette using an enhanced version of an iterative image pre-processing method, replacing less frequent colors by colors that are close to frequently used colors. In a next step, the actual message bits are embedded into the parity bits of the remaining colors. Finally, the proposed method applies a post-processing step, adjusting particular colors in order to further reduce the amount of image distortion. Experimental results show that the proposed method preserves image quality better than previously proposed techniques for data hiding in palette-based images.
Keywordsdata hiding information hiding palette-based images steganography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ashourian, M., Moallem, P., Ho, Y.S.: A Robust Method for Data Hiding in Color Images. LNCS, vol. 3786, pp. 258–269. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Iwata, M., Miyake, K., Shiozaki, A.: Digital Steganography Utilizing Features of JPEG Images. IEICE Trans. Fundamentals E87-A(4), 929–936 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Katzenbeisser, S., Petitcolas, F.A.P.: Information Hiding Techniques for Steganography and Digital Watermarking. Artech House, Boston (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Bender, W., Gruhl, D., Morimoto, N.: Techniques for data hiding. IBM Systems Journal 35(3), 314–336 (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Machado, R.: EzStego, Stego Online, http://www.fqa.com/stego_com/
- 13.Fridrich, J.: A new steganographic method for palette-based images. In: PICS 1999: Image Processing, Image Quality, Image Capture System Conference, Savannah, Georgia, USA, vol. II, pp. 285–289 (1999)Google Scholar
- 15.Diehard Battery of Tests of Randomness, http://www.stat.fsu.edu/pub/diehard/