Hiding Information by Context-Based Synonym Substitution
Many methods of linguistic steganography have been proposed by using synonym-substitution to preserve the meaning of the text. However, most of these methods replace words simply according to a static synonym set without considering the context. In this paper, we present a novel method that replaces a word by its synonym on condition that its synonym is suitable for the context. A synonym’s candidates are chosen according to context, therefore, in different context the candidates can be different although the word to be replaced is the same. As a result, both of the synonym set and the encoding are dynamic. In our experiment, we use Chinese language to implement our method. The experimental results show that the method is almost twice as good as other two existing methods.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bennett, K.: Linguistic steganography: Survey, analysis, and robustness concerns for hiding information in text. Purdue University, CERIAS Tech. Report, 13:2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Sougou Labs. SogouR, http://www.sogou.com/labs/dl/r.html
- 6.Hui, W.: The statistical study of Chinese vocabulary. Date of publication unknown from the online source, http://www.huayuqiao.org/articles/wanghui/wanghui06 (doc. Last checked: 2005-06-20)
- 7.HIT IR Lab. Chilin-Thesaurus of Chinese WordsGoogle Scholar
- 8.Low, S.H., Maxemchuk, N.F., Brassil, J.T., O’Gorman, L.: Document marking and identification using both line and wordshifting. In: IEEE INFOCOM 1995. Fourteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies. Bringing Information to People. Proceedings, pp. 853–860 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Topkara, M., Taskiran, C.M., Delp III, E.J., et al.: Natural language watermarking. In: Proc. SPIE, vol. 5681, pp. 441–452 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Wayner, P.: Disappearing cryptography: information hiding: steganography & watermarking. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Winstein, K.: Lexical steganography through adaptive modulation of the word choice hashGoogle Scholar
- 13.Yuling, L., Xingming, S., Can, G., Hong, W.: An Efficient Linguistic Steganography for Chinese Text. In: 2007 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 2094–2097 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, H.P., Yu, H.K., Xiong, D.Y., Liu, Q.: HHMM-based Chinese lexical analyzer ICTCLAS. In: Proceedings of Second SIGHAN Workshop on Chinese Language Processing, pp. 184–187 (2003)Google Scholar