The Borders of Mobile Handset Ecosystems: Is Coopetition Inevitable?
- 796 Downloads
Today, the mobile phone industry witnesses important changes, shifting from a value chain to a burgeoning business ecosystem. This paper deals with the relationships that are at the very core of mobile OS ecosystems for IMTs (smartphones and PDA): Microsoft-OS, Symbian-OS, Palm-OS and RIM-OS over the period 1998-2006. Our study confirms that an ecosystem’s borders are unclear. More than half of our sample’ relationships are shared by at least two different ecosystems. The ecosystems we studied do not differ in terms of exclusive relationship which suggests that coopetitive strategies are particularly relevant in mobile platforms war.
KeywordsEcosystems Mobile OS co-opetition keystone organization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Moore, J.F.: The Death of Competition: Leadership and Strategy in the Age of Business Ecosystems, Harper Business (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Iansiti, M., Levien, R.: The Keystone Advantage: What the New Dynamics of Business Ecosystems Mean for Strategy, Innovation, and Sustainability. Harvard Business School Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Peltoniemi, M., Vuori, E.: Business ecosystem as the new approach to complex adaptive business environments. In: Proceedings of E-Business Research Forum, Tampere, pp. 267–281 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Shapiro, C., Varian, H.: Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy. Harvard Business School Press, Boston (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Nalebuff, B., Brandenburger, A.: La Co-opétition, une révolution dans la manière de jouer concurrence et coopération, Village Mondial (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Pellegrin-Boucher., E., Gueguen, G.: How to manage co-operative and coopetitive strategies within IT business ecosystems, the case of SAP, the ERP leader. In: EIASM Workshop on coopetition strategy: toward a new kind of interfirm dynamics?, University of Catania, Italy (September 16-17, 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Moore, J.F.: Business ecosystems and the view from the Firm. The Antirust Bulletin, 31–75 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Eisenhardt, K.M., Brown, S.L.: Patching. Restitching Business Portfolios in Dynamic Markets. Harvard Business Review, 72–82 (May-June 1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Gueguen, G.: Coopetition and business ecosystems in the information technology sector: the example of Intelligent Mobile Terminal. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, (forthcoming) (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Luo, Y.: Coopetition in International Business. Copenhagen Business School Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Stanley, G.: Management and Complex Adaptation: A research note. Management International 3(2), 69–79 (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Chien, T.-H., Peng, T.-J.: Competition and Cooperation Intensity in a Network - A Case Study in Taiwan Simulator Industry. Journal of American Academy of Business 7(2), 150–156 (2005)Google Scholar