Assessment of Structural Vulnerability for Power Grids by Network Performance Based on Complex Networks
Power grids have been widely acknowledged as complex networks (CN) since this theory emerged and received considerable attention recently. Many works have been performed to investigate the structural vulnerability of power grids from the topological point of view based on CN. However, most of them applied conceptions and measurements of CN directly to the analysis of power grids which have more specific features that can not be reflected in generic perspective. This paper proposes several most serious obstacles for applying CN to analysis of vulnerability for power grids. Based on the proposed solutions for these obstacles, specific concept of network performance to indicate power supply ability of the network will be defined. Furthermore, the proposed method will be investigated by a 34-bus test system in comparison with the result from general concept of efficiency in CN to indicate its effectiveness.
KeywordsPower Grid Reference Node Structural Vulnerability Complex Network Theory Input Path
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bompard, E., Gao, C., Masera, M., Napoli, R., Russo, A., Stefanini, A., Xue, F.: Approaches To The Security Analysis of Power Systems: Defence Strategies Against Malicious Threats, EUR 22683 EN, ISSN 1018-5593. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Holmgren, J., Jenelius, E., Westin, J.: Evaluating Strategies for Defending Electric Power Networks Against Antagonistic Attacks. IEEE Trans. Power Systems 22 (February 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Crucitti, P., Latora, V., Marchiori, M.: Locating Critical Lines in High-Voltage Electrical Power Grids. Fluctuation and Noise Letters 5(2), L201–L208 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Rosato, V., Bologna, S., Tiriticco, F.: Topological properties of high-voltage electrical transmission networks. Electric Power Systems Research 77 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Motter, A.E., Lai, Y.-C.: Cascade-based attacks on complex networks. Physical Review E 66, 065102(R) (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Latora, V., Marchiori, M.: Efficient Behavior of Small-World Networks. Physical Review Letters 87(19) (November 5, 2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Albert, R., Jeong, H., Barabasi, A.-L.: Error and attack tolerance of complex networks. Nature 406 (July 27, 2000)Google Scholar
- 17.Latora, V., Marchiori, M.: Vulnerability and protection of infrastructure networks. Physical Review E 71, 015103(R) (2005)Google Scholar
- 18.Wang, C., Cui, Z., Chen, Q.: Short-term Load Forecasting Based on Fuzzy Neural Network. In: IEEE Workshop on Intelligent Information Technology Application, December 2-3, pp. 335–338 (2007)Google Scholar