Multiorgan Dysfunction Syndrome (MODS): What is New?
- 2.3k Downloads
Multiorgan dysfunction syndrome (MODS) was defined by the ACCP/SCCM conference almost 20 years ago as the situation in an acutely ill patient whereby organ function is disrupted such that it is unable to maintain homeostasis. Importantly, MODS is a dynamic process, changing over time according to various host-related factors and as the patient responds (or not) to therapeutic interventions. In this chapter, we will discuss some of the current concepts surrounding MODS, and highlight recent advances in our understanding of the pathophysiology and treatment for this condition.
KeywordsOrgan Failure Mean Arterial Pressure Organ Dysfunction Intensive Care Unit Patient Sequential Organ Failure Assessment
- Bone RC, Balk RA, Cerra FB, Dellinger RP, Fein AM, Knaus WA, Schein RM, Sibbald WJ (1992) Definitions for sepsis and organ failure and guidelines for the use of innovative therapies in sepsis. The ACCP/SCCM Consensus Conference Committee. American College of Chest Physicians/Society of Critical Care Medicine. Chest 101:1644–1655PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Carlet JM, Bion J, Parker MM, Jaeschke R, Reinhart K, Angus DC, Brun-Buisson C, Beale R, Calandra T, Dhainaut JF, Gerlach H, Harvey M, Marini JJ, Marshall J, Ranieri M, Ramsay G, Sevransky J, Thompson BT, Townsend S, Vender JS, Zimmerman JL, Vincent JL (2008) Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008. Crit Care Med 36:296–327PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Endo S, Aikawa N, Fujishima S, Sekine I, Kogawa K, Yamamoto Y, Kushimoto S, Yukioka H, Kato N, Totsuka K, Kikuchi K, Ikeda T, Ikeda K, Yamada H, Harada K, Satomura S (2008) Usefulness of procalcitonin serum level for the discrimination of severe sepsis from sepsis: a multicenter prospective study. J Infect Chemother 14:244–249PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jansen TC, van Bommel J, Woodward R, Mulder PG, Bakker J (2009) Association between blood lactate levels, Sequential Organ Failure Assessment subscores, and 28-day mortality during early and late intensive care unit stay: a retrospective observational study. Crit Care Med 37:2369–2374PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lobo SM, Rezende E, Knibel MF, Silva NB, Paramo JA, Nacul FE, Mendes CL, Assuncao M, Costa RC, Grion CC, Pinto SF, Mello PM, Maia MO, Duarte PA, Gutierrez F, Silva JJ, Lopes MR, Mellot C (2011) Early determinants of death due to multiple organ failure after noncardiac surgery in high-risk patients. Anesth Analg 112(4):877–883PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rice TW (2009) Omega-3 (n-3) fatty acid, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and anti-oxidant supplementation in acute lung injury (OMEGA trial) (abstract). Crit Care Med 37:A408Google Scholar