Opening the Black Box: Exploring the Effect of Transformation on Online Service Delivery in Local Governments
To enhance the quality of their online service delivery, many government organizations seek to transform their organization beyond merely setting up a front office. This transformation includes elements such as the formation of service delivery chains, the adoption of a management strategy supporting process orientation and the implementation of enterprise architecture. This paper explores whether undertaking this transformation has a positive effect on the quality of online service delivery, using data gathered from seventy local governments. We found that having an externally oriented management strategy in place, adopting enterprise architecture, aligning information systems to business and sharing activities between processes and departments are positively related to the quality of online service delivery. We recommend that further research should be carried out to find out whether dimensions of organizational development too have an effect on online service delivery in the long term.
KeywordsTransformational Government Organizational transformation Quality of service delivery e-Government
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.OECD e-Government Studies: E-Government for Better Government. OECD Publishing, Paris (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Fountain, J.E.: Building the Virtual State: Information Technology and Institutional Change. Brookings Institution Press, Washington (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Zuurmond, A., Robben, F.: We Need to Dig a New Suez Canal: How Can ICT Help Changing Compliance Costs. In: Nijsen, A., et al. (eds.) Business Regulation and Public Policy, vol. 20, pp. 229–247. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Porter, M.E.: Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance. The Free Press, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 14.Janssen, M.: Insights from the Introduction of a Supply Chain Coordinator. Business Process Management Journal. Special edition on Cyber Chain Management (edited by Ray Hackney & Janice Burn) 10, 300–310 (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Strikwerda, J.: Na het shared service center: de modulaire organisatie. Holland Management Review 23, 45–50 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Baldwin, C.Y., Clark, K.B.: Design Rules. The Power of Modularity, vol. 1. MIT Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar