Testing of a Novel Web Browser Interface for the Chinese Market
This paper compares the perspicacity, appropriateness and preference of web browser icons from leading software providers with those of a culture-specific design. This online study was conducted in Taiwan and involved 103 participants, who were given three sets of web browser icons to review, namely Microsoft Internet Explorer, Macintosh Safari, and culturally specific icons created using the Culture-Centred Design methodology. The findings of the study show that all three sets have generally high recognition rates, but that some icon functions (e.g. Go/Visit and Favourite) in all three sets have poor recognition rates and are considered inappropriate.
Keywordsweb browser icons icons perspicacity Chinese culturalisation user interface design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barber, W., Badre, A.: Culturability: The Merging of Culture and Usability. In: Proceedings of the 4th Human Factors and the Web Conference (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Brandon, D.: Localization of web content. Journal of Computing in Small Colleges 17(2), 345–358 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Bourges-Waldegg, P., Scrivener, S.: Meaning, the Central Issue in Cross-Cultural HCI Design. Shared values and shared interfaces: The role of culture in the globalisation of human-computer systems. Interacting with Computers: the interdisciplinary journal of human-computer interaction 9(3), 287–309 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.CNNIC. Statistical Survey Report on the Internet Development of China (2008), http://www.cnnic.net.cn/en/index/0O/index.htm (cited September 7, 2008)
- 7.Every, D.K.: Innovation: Desktop Metaphor (Netscape 4.7) (1999), http://www.mackido.com/Innovation/Desktop.html (cited November 13, 2001)
- 9.Ferranti, M.: From Global to Local. In: Infoworld (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Miniwatts. Internet Users by World Region (www) (2008), http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm (cited September 7, 2008)
- 11.Miniwatts: Internet World Stats (August 14, 2008), http://www.internetworldstats.com/ (cited August 14)
- 12.Olsen, S.: Maxthon: China’s hip browser (June 22, 2006), http://news.com.com/ (cited August 13, 2006)
- 14.Sun, H.: Building a culturally-competent corporate web site: An exploratory study of cultural markers in multilingual web design. In: SIGDOC 2001, ACM, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.TWNIC: The report of the use of broadband networking in Taiwan (July 2008), http://www.twnic.net/NEWS/1085.bin (cited September 7, 2008)
- 16.Yeo, A.W.: Are usability assessment techniques reliable in non- western cultures? (August 23, 2000), http://www.cityu.edu.hk/is/ejisdc/vol3/v3r1.pdf (cited 2001)