Channel Estimation and ISI/ICI Cancellation for MIMO-OFDM Systems with Insufficient Cyclic Prefix
In multi-input multi-output orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (MIMO-OFDM) systems, the multipath components whose delays exceed cyclic prefix (CP) cause inter-symbol interference (ISI) and inter-carrier interference (ICI), which may degrade system performance severely. In this paper, we propose a joint channel estimation and ISI/ICI cancellation scheme in which a limited CP is used in a trade-off against high-rate performance in MIMO-OFDM systems. A channel estimation scheme based on the criterion of Expectation-Maximization (EM) algorithm can be proposed through the use of a training symbol. The EM algorithm uses an iterative procedure to estimate channel parameters and can estimate channel impulse response (CIR) accurately enough to mitigate ISI/ICI influences. Through the accurate CIR estimation, an efficient method has been developed to counteract ISI/ICI influences in signal detection in the case where the inserted CP length is less than the CIR length. Simulation results show that the proposed method can significantly enhance the overall MIMO-OFDM system performance after only a few iterations.
Keywordsmulti-input multi-output orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (MIMO-OFDM) inter-symbol interference (ISI) inter-carrier interference (ICI) Expectation-Maximization (EM) algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Wolniansky, P.W., Foschini, G.J., Golden, G.D., Valenzuela, R.A.: V-BLAST: architecture for realizing very high data rates over the rich-scattering wireless channel. In: International Symposium on ISSSE, pp. 295–300 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhong, W., Mao, Z.: Tentative Decision Based Low Complexity Equalization for OFDM Systems with Insufficient Cyclic Prefix. In: International Conference on ICSP, December 2005, pp. 116–119 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Yue, J., Kim, K.J., Gibson, J.D., Iltis, R.A.: Channel estimation and data detection for MIMO-OFDM systems. In: IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference 2003, vol. 2, pp. 581–585 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.TGn Sync Proposal Technical Specification, IEEE P802.11/889r6 (May 2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, S., Zhu, C.: ICI and ISI Analysis and Mitigation for OFDM Systems with Insufficient Cyclic Prefix in Time-Varying Channels. IEEE trans. on Consumer Electronics 50(1) (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Halford, K., Webster, M.: Multipath measurements in wireless LANS, Intersil Application Note AN9895.1 (2001)Google Scholar