A Grid Resource Scheduling Algorithm Based on the Utility Optimization
To solve the problem of heterogeneity of user requirements in grid resource allocation, a grid resource scheduling algorithm based on utility function is proposed by analyzing the relationship between the executing time and cost and the user utility function, the theory of economics is used to solve the optimal problem of the user utility function. The result of experiment shows, when the system finished the same set of gridlets, the algorithm achieves better performance not only in cost than the algorithm based on the time optimization when they spent equal time, but also in time than the algorithm based on the cost optimization on the assumption that they consumed the equal quantity of cost.
Keywordsgrid resource allocation utility function optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fox, F., Gannon, D.: Computational Grids. IEEE Computational Science and Engineering, 74–77 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Foster, I.: The Grid: Computing Without Bonds. Science American, 78–85 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Krauter, K., Buyya, R., Maheswaran, M.: A Taxonomy and Survey of Grid Resource Management System. Software: Practice and Experience, 135–164 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Buyya, R., Abramson, D., Giddy, J.: Economic Models for Resource Management and Scheduling in Grid Computing. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 1507 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Wolski, R., Plank, J.S., Brevik, J.: Analyzing Market-based Resource Allocation Strategies for the Computational Grid. International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Bemsten, J., Spets, T.: CPE WAN Management Protocol. DSL Home Technical Working Group (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Stark, B.: LAN-Side DSL CPE Configuration Specification. DSL Home Technical Working Group (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.He, X., Sun, X., Gregor, V.L.: QoS guided Min-min heuristic for grid task scheduling. Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 442–451 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Yu, J., Buyya, R., Tham, C.K.: QoS-based Scheduling of Workflow Applications on Service Grids. In: Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing, pp. 1–9 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Dogan, A., Ozguner, F.: On QoS-based scheduling of a meta-task with multiple QoS demands in heterogeneous computing. In: The 16th Int’l Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, Fort Lauderdale, FL (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Varian, H.R.: Microeconomic Analysis. W.W.Norton&Company, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 12.Murshed, M., Buyya, R., Abramson, D.: GridSim: A Toolkit for the Modeling and Simulation of Global Grids. Technical Report, Monash-CSSE (2001)Google Scholar