Second Life: The Future of Social Networking?
Second Life is a sophisticated 3D Virtual World which has emerged from the 3D gaming genre to become a potentially significant environment for social networking. While it still has a gaming community, its rapidly increasing popularity over the last year or so has much more to do with the wider interest being shown in its use for education, social networking, and business. Second Life has developed an economy linked to the real world which provides a more compelling argument for being self-sustaining than is the case with current social-technical systems such as FaceBook. Second Life, as with other similar Virtual World systems, is a complex environment in which a virtual culture is established by both the capabilities of the environment and also the actors in that environment in which many themes exist concurrently and can interact and interfere with each other. In this chapter we look at Second Life and assess its strength as a social networking environment using the Web of System Performance (WOSP) methodology.
KeywordsSocial Networks Second Life WOSP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bignall, S.: Milton Broome’s Blogspot (2007), http://milton-broome.blogspot.com/2007/12/autism-and-aspergers-research-in-second.html
- Boyd, D., Ellison, N.: Social Network Sites: Definition, History and Scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 13(1) (2007), http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol13/issue1/boyd.ellison.html
- Brady, J.: How Second Life Therapy Helps Asperger’s Patients. WFAA-TV 13, 22 (2008), wfaa.com (January 12, 2008) Google Scholar
- Farber, D., Dignan, L.: The Future of Virtual Worlds (2007), http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5825
- Jenkins, H. (2007), http://www.henryjenkins.org/2007/03/my_main_question_to_jenkins.html
- Kerley, C. (2008), http://www.drkerley.com/avatartherapy.html
- Lester, J.: Web Site (2008), http://zero.hastypastry.net/pathfinder/
- Madrigal, A. (2008), http://ypulse.com/archives/2007/08/the_secret_behi.php
- Metaverse Roadmaps (2008), http://metaverseroadmap.org/inputs.html#currentconditions
- Nicholson, C. (2006), http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2006-10-31/nicholson-yoursecondlife/
- Phillips, A.: Asperger’s Therapy Hits Second Life. ABC News January 15 (2008)Google Scholar
- Terdiman, D.: Counting The Real Second Life Population. CNET News.com (2007), http://www.news.com/Counting-the-real-Second-Life-population/2100-1043_3-6146943.html
- Virtual World Review (2008), http://www.virtualworldsreview.com/info/whatis.shtml
- Whitworth, B.: Social-Technical Systems. In: Ghaoui, C. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Human Computer Interaction, pp. 533–541. Idea Group Reference, Hershey (2006)Google Scholar
- Whitworth, B.: Combining Rigor and Relevance: The Open Electronic Archive Option. In: ACIS 2007 - 18th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Toowoomba, December 5-7 (2007)Google Scholar
- Whitworth, B., Banuls, V., Cheickna, S., Mahinda, E.: Expanding the Criteria for Evaluating Social-technical Software. In: IEEE SMC (2007) (accepted for publication)Google Scholar
- Whitworth, B.: A Social Environment Model of Socio-Technical Performance (2008) (under submission)Google Scholar