Caves of Turkey
Currently it is believed that civilization started with agricultural settlements and that immigrating groups of people had a primitive way of life within their natural environment. According to this point of view, caves have been accepted as habitats which reveal good traces of prehistoric life. However, taking a closer look at the beginning of the process, it can be clearly seen that caves were not only used by primitive people as functional (and advantageous) shelters, but have also been used by the first agricultural societies and even by urban societies following them. Thus caves can be seen as shelters which reveal detailed information about the development of various cultures.
KeywordsAgricultural Settlement Karst Formation Primitive People Holy Place Natural Cave
- Akgunduz, A., Bas, Y., Tekin, R. & Kasikci, O. (1993). Arsiv Belgeleri Isiginda Tarsus Tarihi ve Eshabi Keyf “Yedi Uyurlar”. In Homepage of Municipality of Tarsus. Available at: http://www.eshabikehf.org (accessed 24 July 2008).
- Kartal, M. (2006). Excavations at Karain Cave in 2005. Available at: http://www.akmedanmed.com/pdf/2006_5.pdf (accessed 24 July 2008).
- Kirman, E. & Ulusoy, E. (2005). Paleolitik Donemde Dogal Yerlesim Yeri Olarak Kullanilan Anadolu Magaralari”. In Proceedings of Turkiye Kuvaterner Sempozyumu TURQUA-V. Istanbul: ITU Avrasya Yer Bilimleri Enstitusu.Google Scholar
- Meric, E., Sakinc, M., Ozdogan, M. & Ackurt, F. (1991). Mollusc Shells Found at the Yarimburgaz Cave. In Journal of Islamic Academy of Sciences 4(1): 6–9.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Culture & Tourism. (2008). Cave Tourism. Available at: http://www.kultur.gov.tr/TR/BelgeGoster.aspx?F6E10F8892433CFF03077CA1048A18343DB31F6A1D609AA7 (accessed 24 July 2008).
- M.T.A. (General Directorate of Mineral Research & Exploration) (2008). Magaralar ve MTA. Available at: http://www.mta.gov.tr/magara/tasari.html (accessed 24 July 2008).
- Municipality of Kaymakli. (2008). Yeralti Sehirleri. Available at: http://kaymakli.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=32 (accessed 24 July 2008).
- T.A.Y. (Archeological Settlements of Turkey) (2008). Turkiye Arkeolojik Yerlesimleri Projesi. Available at: http://tayproject.org/veritab.html (accessed 24 July 2008).
- Wikipedia (2008). Cave. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave (accessed 24 July 2008).