The Geomorphological Cave Features of Gћar il-Friefet
Gћar il-Friefet is located in the south-eastern part of Malta, on the bank of a dry valley and in close proximity to the well-known cave named Gћar Dalam. In July 2003, the Malta Environment and Planning Authority commissioned an ecological and a geological survey of the cave in response to an application for a new residential development in the cave’s near vicinity. The main objective of the latter survey involved an assessment of the structural integrity of the cave. Given that there is no public access to the cave, the survey offered the authors a unique opportunity to record the cave’s geomorphological features.
KeywordsResidential Development Fluvial Deposit Cave System Roof Collapse Coralline Limestone
- De Ketelaere, D. & Spiteri, A. 2004. Malta and Gozo Islands (Malta) in a contribution by members of the COST-621 Action Groundwater Management of Coastal Karstic Aquifers, The Main Coastal Karstic Aquifers of Southern Europe, edited by Calaforra, J.M., 2004. European Commission, Directorate-General for Research, Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- Ford, D.C. 2003. Perspectives in karst hydrogeology and cavern genesis. – Speleogenesis and Evolution of Karst Aquifers 1(1), 12 pp found at http://www.speleogenesis.info.
- Ford, D.C. & Williams, P. 2007. Karst Hydrogeology and Geomorphology. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Morana, M. 1987. The prehistoric cave of Gћar Dalam. Printwell Ltd., Malta.Google Scholar
- Paskoff, R. & Sanlaville, P. 1978. Observations géomorphologiques sur les côtes de l’archipel maltais in Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie, 22/3, 310–328.Google Scholar
- Shaw, T.R. 1952. The caves of Malta in Bulletin of the National Speleological Society, 14, 34–41, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar