Hierarchical Organization of Functional Modules in Weighted Protein Interaction Networks Using Clustering Coefficient
As advances in the technologies of predicting protein interactions, huge data sets portrayed as networks have been available. Several graph clustering approaches have been proposed to detect functional modules from such networks. However, all methods of predicting protein interactions are known to yield a nonnegligible amount of false positives. Most of the graph clustering algorithms are challenging to be used in the network with high false positives. We extend the protein interaction network from unweighted graph to weighted graph and propose an algorithm for hierarchically clustering in the weighted graph. The proposed algorithm HC-Wpin is applied to the protein interaction network of S.cerevisiae and the identified modules are validated by GO annotations. Many significant functional modules are detected, most of which are corresponding to the known complexes. Moreover, our algorithm HC-Wpin is faster and more accurate compared to other previous algorithms. The program is available at http://bioinfo.csu.edu.cn/limin/HC-Wpin.
KeywordsProtein interaction network clustering functional module
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 13.Brohee, S., van Helden, J.: Evaluation of clustering algorithms for protein-protein interaction networks. BMC Bioinformatics, 7–488 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Spirin, V., Mirny, L.A.: Protein complexes and functional modules in molecular networks. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 12123–12128 (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Brun, C., et al.: Clustering proteins from interaction networks for the prediction of cellular functions. BMC Bioinformatics 7, 488 (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.Altaf-Ul-Amin, M., Shinbo, Y., Mihara, K., Kurokawa, K., Kanaya, S.: Development and implementation of an algorithm for detection of protein complexes in large interaction networks. BMC Bioinformatics, 7–207 (2006)Google Scholar
- 21.Friedel, C., Zimmer, R.: Inferring topology from clustering coefficients in protein-protein interaction networks. BMC Bioinformatics, 7–519 (2006)Google Scholar
- 23.Li, M., Wang, J.X., Chen, J.E.: A fast agglomerate algorithm for mining functional modules in protein interaction networks. In: Peng, Y., Zhang, Y. (eds.) Proceedings of the First International Conference on BioMedical Engineering and Informatics: Hainan, China, May 27-30, pp. 3–7 (2008)Google Scholar
- 26.Shlomi, T., Segal, D., Ruppin, E., Sharan, R.: Qpath: a method for querying pathways in a protein-protein interaction network. BMC Bioinformatics, 7–199 (2006)Google Scholar
- 27.Hwang, W., Cho, Y.R., Zhang, A., Ramanathan, M.: A novel functional module detection algorithm for protein-protein interaction networks. Algorithms for Molecular Biology 12, 1–24 (2006)Google Scholar