Adaptive Robust MPC: A Minimally-Conservative Approach
Although there is great motivation for adaptive approaches to nonlinear model prediction control, few results to date can guarantee feasible adaptive stabilization in the presence of state or input constraints. By adapting a set-valued measure of the parametric uncertainty within the framework of robust nonlinear-MPC, the results of this paper establish such constrained adaptive stability. Furthermore, it is shown that the ability to account for future adaptation has multiple benefits, including both the ability to guarantee an optimal notion of excitation in the system without requiring dither injection, as well as the ability to incorporate substantially less conservative designs of the terminal penalty.
KeywordsModel Predictive Control Adaptive Control Robust Control Nonlinear Systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adetola, V., Guay, M.: Adaptive receding horizon control of nonlinear systems. In: Proc. IFAC Symposium on Nonlinear Control Systems, Stuttgart, Germany, pp. 1055–1060 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Aubin, J.P.: Viability Theory. In: Systems & Control: Foundations & Applications. Birkhäuser, Boston (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Cao, C., Annaswamy, A.: Parameter convergence in systems with a general nonlinear parameterization using a hierarchical algorithm. In: Proc. American Control Conference, pp. 376–381 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.DeHaan, D., Adetola, V., Guay, M.: Adaptive robust MPC: An eye towards computational simplicity. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control (submitted, 2006), http://chee.queensu.ca/~dehaan/publications.html
- 6.Grimm, G., Messina, M., Tuna, S., Teel, A.: Nominally robust model predictive control with state constraints. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, pp. 1413–1418 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Marruedo, D., Alamo, T., Camacho, E.: Input-to-state stable MPC for constrained discrete-time nonlinear systems with bounded additive uncertainties. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, pp. 4619–4624 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Mayne, D.Q., Michalska, H.: Adaptive receding horizon control for constrained nonlinear systems. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, pp. 1286–1291 (1993)Google Scholar