Fast Nonlinear Model Predictive Control with an Application in Automotive Engineering
Although nonlinear model predictive control has become a well-established control approach, its application to time-critical systems requiring fast feedback is still a major computational challenge. In this article we investigate a new multi-level iteration scheme based on theory and algorithmic ideas from , and extending the idea of real-time iterations as presented in . This novel approach takes into account the natural hierarchy of different time scales inherent in the dynamic model. Applications from aerodynamics and chemical engineering have been successfully treated. In this contribution we apply the investigated multi-level iteration scheme to fast optimal control of a vehicle and discuss the computational performance of the scheme.
Keywordsnonlinear model predictive control direct multiple shooting realtime optimal control multi-level iteration scheme computational results
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Albersmeyer, J., Bock, H.G.: Sensitivity Generation in an Adaptive BDF-Method. In: Bock, H.G., Kostina, E., Phu, X.H., Rannacher, R. (eds.) Modeling, Simulation and Optimization of Complex Processes: Proc. Int. Conf. on High Performance Scientific Computing, Hanoi, Vietnam, March 6-10, 2006, pp. 15–24. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Bock, H.G., Diehl, M., Kostina, E.A., Schlöder, J.P.: Constrained Optimal Feedback Control for DAE. In: Biegler, L., Ghattas, O., Heinkenschloss, M., Keyes, D., van Bloemen Waanders, B. (eds.) Real-Time PDE-Constrained Optimization, pp. 3–24. SIAM, Philadelphia (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bock, H.G., Plitt, K.J.: A multiple shooting algorithm for direct solution of optimal control problems. In: Proc. 9th IFAC World Congress Budapest, pp. 243–247. Pergamon Press, Oxford (1984)Google Scholar
- 7.Kirches, C., Sager, S., Bock, H.G., Schlöder, J.P.: Time-optimal control of automobile test drives with gear shifts. Optimal Control Applications and Methods (submitted, 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Wirsching, L., Bock, H.G., Diehl, M.: Fast NMPC of a chain of masses connected by springs. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Control Applications, Munich, pp. 591–596 (2006)Google Scholar