Access Point Localization Using Local Signal Strength Gradient
Many previous studies have examined the placement of access points (APs) to improve the community’s understanding of the deployment and behavioral characteristics of wireless networks. A key implicit assumption in these studies is that one can estimate the AP location accurately from wardriving-like measurements. However, existing localization algorithms exhibit high error because they over-simplify the complex nature of signal propagation. In this work, we propose a novel approach that localizes APs using directional information derived from local signal strength variations. Our algorithm only uses signal strength information, and improves localization accuracy over existing techniques. Furthermore, the algorithm is robust to the sampling biases and non-uniform shadowing, which are common in wardriving measurements.
KeywordsWindow Size Signal Strength Localization Error Path Loss Receive Signal Strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cheng, Y., Chawathe, Y., LaMarca, A., Krumm, J.: Accuracy characterization for metropolitan-scale Wi-Fi localization. In: Proc. ACM MobiSys., Seattle, WA (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Subramanian, A., Deshpande, P., Gaojgao, J., Das, S.: Drive-by localization of roadside WiFi networks. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, Phoenix, AZ (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Savvides, A., Han, C.C., Strivastava, M.B.: Dynamic fine-grained localization in ad-hoc networks of sensors. In: Proc. ACM Mobicom, Rome, Italy (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.WhitePages.com - White Pages Phone Directory, http://www.whitepages.com
- 7.Bahl, P., Padmanabhan, V.: RADAR: An In-Building RF-based User Location and Tracking System. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, Tel-Aviv, Israel (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Harter, A., Hopper, A., Steggles, P., Ward, A., Webster, P.: The anatomy of a context-aware application. In: Proc. ACM/IEEE MOBICOM, Seattle, WA (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Priyantha, N., Chakraborty, A., Balakrishnan, H.: The Cricket location-support system. In: Proc. ACM Mobicom, Boston, MA (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Fox, D., Hightower, J., Liao, L., Schulz, D., Borriello, G.: Bayesian filtering for location estimation. IEEE Pervasive Computing 02(3) (2003)Google Scholar