Distributed Data Mining Tasks and Patterns as Services
This paper discusses large-grain programming issues in data intensive applications designed for Grids and distributed infrastructures. We outline how Grid-based and service-oriented programming mechanisms can be developed as a collection of Grid/Web/Cloud services and investigate how they can be used to develop distributed data analysis tasks and knowledge discovery applications exploiting the SOA model. Then we discuss a strategy based on the use of services for the design of open distributed knowledge discovery tasks and applications on Grids and distributed systems. Some examples of frameworks developed according to this approach are outlined.
KeywordsGrid services distributed programming abstractions distributed data mining knowledge discovery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dean, J., Ghemawat, S.: MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Custers. CACM 51(1), 107–113 (2008) Google Scholar
- 2.Talia, D., Trunfio, P.: Service-Oriented Architectures for Distributed and Mobile Knowledge Discovery. In: Kargupta, H., Han, J., Yu, P., Motwani, R., Kumar, V. (eds.) Next Generation of Data Mining. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2008) Google Scholar
- 3.Congiusta, A., Talia, D., Trunfio, P.: Distributed data mining services leveraging WSRF. Future Generation Computer Systems 23(1), 34–41 (2007) Google Scholar
- 4.Talia, D., Trunfio, P., Verta, O.: The Weka4WS Framework for Distributed Data Mining in Service-Oriented Grids. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience 20(16), 1933–1951 (2008) Google Scholar
- 5.Talia, D., Trunfio, P.: Mobile Data Mining on Small Devices Through Web Services. In: Yang, L., Waluyo, A., Ma, J., Tan, L., Srinivasan, B. (eds.) Mobile Intelligence: Mobile Computing and Computational Intelligence. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2008) Google Scholar
- 6.Barbalace, D., Lucchese, C., Mastroianni, C., Orlando, S., Talia, D.: Mining@home: Public Resource Computing for Distributed Data Mining. In: Priol, T., Vanneschi, M. (eds.) From Grids to Service and Pervasive Computing, pp. 217–227. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)Google Scholar