Acquiring Verb Subcategorization Frames in Bengali from Corpora
Subcategorization frames acquisition of a phrase can be described as a mechanism to extract different types of relevant arguments that are associated with that phrase in a sentence. This paper presents the acquisition of different subcategory frames for a specific Bengali verb that has been identified from POS tagged and chunked data prepared from raw Bengali news corpus. Syntax plays the main role in the acquisition process and not the semantics like thematic roles. The output frames of the verb have been compared with the frames of its English verb that has been identified using bilingual lexicon. The frames for the English verb have been extracted using Verbnet. This system has demonstrated precision and recall values of 85.21% and 83.94% respectively on a test set of 1500 sentences.
KeywordsSubcategorization Frames Acquisition Target Verb Bilingual Lexicon Synonymous Verb Set (SVS) VerbNet Evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Manning, C.D.: Automatic Acquisition of a Large Subcategorization Dictionary from Corpora. In: Proceedings of the 31st Meeting of the ACL, pp. 235–242. ACL, Columbus (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Grishman, R., Macleod, C., Meyers, A.: Comlex syntax: building a computational lexicon. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Linguistics, COLING 1994, Kyoto, Japan, pp. 268–272 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Boguraev, B.K., Briscoe, E.J.: Large lexicons for natural language processing utilizing the grammar coding system of the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Computational Linguistics 13(4), 219–240 (1987)Google Scholar
- 4.Kipper-Schuler, K.: VerbNet: A broad-coverage, comprehensive verb lexicon. Ph.D. thesis, Computer and Information Science Dept., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Levin, B.: English Verb Classes and Alternation: A Preliminary Investigation. The University of Chicago Press (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Ushioda, A., Evans, D.A., Gibson, T., Waibel, A.: The Automatic Acquisition of Frequencies of Verb Subcategorization Frames from Tagged Corpora. In: Boguraev, B., Pustejovsky, J. (eds.) Proceedings of the Workshop on Acquisition of Lexical Knowledge from Text, Columbus, Ohio, pp. 95–106 (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Lapata, M., Brew, C.: Using subcategorization to resolve verb class ambiguity. In: Fung, P., Zhou, J. (eds.) Proceedings of WVLC/EMNLP, pp. 266–274 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Sarkar, A., Zeman, D.: Automatic extraction of subcategorization frames for czech. In: Proceedings of COLING 2000 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Samantaray, S.D.: A Data mining approach for resolving cases of Multiple Parsing in Machine Aided Translation of Indian Languages. In: International Conference on Information Technology. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Samsad Bengali to English Dictionary, http://home.uchicago.edu/~cbs2/banglainstruction.html
- 12.Ekbal, A., Haque, R., Bandyopadhyay, S.: Maximum Entropy Based Bengali Part of Speech Tagging. In: Gelbukh, A. (ed.) Advances in Natural Language Processing and Applications, Research in Computing Science (RCS) Journal, vol. 33, pp. 67–78 (2008)Google Scholar