Representing Multiple Mappings between XML and Relational Schemas for Bi-directional Query Translation
There is an increasing need to translate between SQL and XQuery. This task could be successfully performed only when the differences between the underlying schemas are properly resolved. In this paper, we propose to represent each schema by value, collection, and structure constructs, and design a set of mappings to represent their correspondence. The cases of multiple mappings are particularly considered. Based on the mapping information, queries could be transformed to each other and information could be therefore shared. We give a formal proof to validate the proposed approach, and also show some experimental results to demonstrate its performance.
KeywordsRelational Database Repeatable Element Relational Schema Input Query Collection Mapping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.An, Y., Borgida, A., Miller, R.J., Mylopoulos, J.: A semantic approach to discovering schema mapping expressions. In: Proceedings of the ICDE Conference (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.DeHaan, D., Toman, D., Consens, M.P., Ozsu, M.T.: A comprehensive xquery to sql translation using dynamic interval encoding. In: Proceedings of the SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Embley, D.W., Xu, L., Ding, Y.: Automatic direct and indirect schema mapping: experiences and lessons learned. SIGMOD Record 33(4) (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Fan, W., Yu, J.X., Lu, H., Lu, J., Rastogi, R.: Query translation from xpath to sql in the presence of recursive dtds. In: Proceedings of the 31th VLDB Conference (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Krishnamurthy, R., Chakaravarthy, V.T., Kaushik, R., Naughton, J.F.: Recursive XML schemas, recursive xml queries, and relational storage: Xml-to-sql query translation. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Data Engineering (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Krishnamurthy, R., Kaushik, R., Naughton, J.F.: Efficient xml-to-sql query translation: Where to add the intelligence? In: Proceedings of the 30th VLDB Conference (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, M.L., Yang, L.H., Hsu, W., Yang, X.: Xclust: Clustering xml schemas for effective integration. In: Proceedings of the ACM CIKM conference (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Krishnamurthy, R.K.R., Naughton, J.F.: Xml-to-sql query translation literature: The state of the art and open problems. In: Proceedings of the XML Database Symposium (2003)Google Scholar