Towards Coordination of Multiple Machine Translation Services
- 457 Downloads
Machine translation services available on the Web are getting increasingly popular. Multiple translation services are often combined for intercultural communication. Furthermore, since English is most frequently used as a hub language, it is often necessary to cascade different translation services to realize translations between non-English languages. As a result, the word sense is often changed because of the inconsistency, asymmetry, and intransitivity of word selections between machine translation services. Therefore, we propose a context-based coordination framework in which the context is propagated among cascaded translation services by referring to multilingual equivalent terms. By considering machine translation services as black boxes, we achieve substantial quality improvements through Web service coordination.
KeywordsContext-based coordination Web services Machine translations Service composition architectures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ishida 06]Ishida, T.: Language Grid: An Infrastructure for Intercultural Collaboration. In: IEEE/IPSJ Symposium on Applications and the Internet (SAINT 2006), keynote address, pp. 96–100 (2006)Google Scholar
- [Yamashita and Ishida 06]Yamashita, N., Ishida, T.: Effects of Machine Translation on Collaborative Work. In: International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW 2006), pp. 515–523 (2006)Google Scholar
- [Kanayama and Watababe 03]Kanayama, H., Watanabe, H.: Multilingual Translation via Annotated Hub Language. In: MT-Summit IX, pp. 202–207 (2003)Google Scholar
- [Hassine et al. 06]Ben Hassine, A., Matsubara, S., Ishida, T.: A constraint-based approach to horizontal web service composition. In: Cruz, I., Decker, S., Allemang, D., Preist, C., Schwabe, D., Mika, P., Uschold, M., Aroyo, L.M. (eds.) ISWC 2006. LNCS, vol. 4273, pp. 130–143. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [Traverso and Pistore 04]
- [Wu et al. 03]
- [Liu et al. 07]Liu, Z., Ranganathan, A., Riabov, A.V.: A Planning Approach for Message-Oriented Semantic Web Service Composition. In: AAAI 2007, pp. 1389–1394 (2007)Google Scholar
- [Vossen 1998]
- [Bergman 1981]Bergman, P.M.: The Concise Dictionary of Twenty-Six Languages in Simultaneous Translations. Avenel Books, New York (1981)Google Scholar
- [Tokunaga and Tanaka 1990]Tokunaga, T., Tanaka, H.: The Automatic Extraction of Conceptual Items from Bilingual Dictionaries. In: PRICAI 1990, pp. 304–309 (1990)Google Scholar
- [Tanaka and Umemura 94]Tanaka, K., Umemura, K.: Construction of a Bilingual Dictionary Intermediated by a Third Language. In: COLING 1994, pp. 293–303 (1994)Google Scholar