Verification and Case Studies for Urban Effects in HIRLAM Numerical Weather Forecasting
In our study, the performance of the DMI HIgh Resolution Limited Area Models (HIRLAM)-U01/I01 research models (1.4 km horizontal resolution) with simple (urban roughness and anthropogenic heat flux) and complex (building effects parameterizations) urbanization were tested and verified. The simulations of the DMI-HIRLAM-U01/I01 without (i.e. the control run) and with the urbanized modules were performed in a short-term mode, i.e. for days with different meteorological conditions (such as typical and low winds), and in a long-term mode on a monthly basis. The comparison of the DMI-HIRLAM urbanized vs. control runs during the same period was performed. Detailed analyses of spatial and temporal variability of simulated conditions such as the wind characteristics, temperature and relative humidity over the metropolitan area of Copenhagen and surroundings were then completed. The diurnal variability of meteorological and derived characteristics over these urban areas was investigated. The verification of these characteristics was performed for selected urban/suburban stations located in the Copenhagen area.
KeywordsWind Velocity Street Canyon Numerical Weather Prediction Numerical Weather Prediction Model Meteorological Field
We are grateful to the COST Action 728 which actually influenced the carrying out of this study. In this study the DMI facilities of NEC SX6 had been used for simulations. Thanks for advice to the DMI EDB Computer Support Department. This research is done within the frameworks of the DMI-Enviro-HIRLAM project activities.
- Baklanov, A., Mahura, A., Nielsen, N.W., Petersen, C. 2006a: Approaches for urbanization of DMI-HIRLAM NWP model. HIRLAM Newsletter 49, pp. 61–75.Google Scholar
- Baklanov, A., Mahura, A., Petersen, C., Sattler, K., Nielsen, N.W. 2006b: Effects of urbanized areas for NWP DMI-HIrlam high resolution model operational runs. Journal of Computational Technologies, 11, 157–167.Google Scholar
- CORINE, 2000: CORINE Land Cover Dataset 2000. European Environmental Agency. http://dataservice.eea.eu.int/dataservice/
- Grimmond, C.S.B., Cleugh, H.A., Oke, T.R. 1991: An objective urban heat storage model and its comparison with other schemes. Atmospheric Environment, 25B, 311–326.Google Scholar
- Mahura, A., Baklanov, A., Petersen, C., Sattler, K., Amstrup, B., Nielsen, N.W. 2006: ISBA Scheme Performance in High Resolution Modelling for Low Winds Conditions. HIRLAM Newsletter 49, pp. 22–35.Google Scholar
- Mahura, A., Petersen, C., Baklanov, A., Korsholm, U.S., Amstrup, B., Sattler, K. 2008: Verification of long-term DMI-HIRLAM NWP modelling runs using urbanization and building effect parametrization modules. HIRLAM NewsLetters, 53, 50–60.Google Scholar
- Mahura, A., Sattler, K., Petersen, C., Amstrup, B., Baklanov, A. 2005: DMI-HIRLAM Modelling with High Resolution Setup and Simulations for Areas of Denmark. DMI Tech. Report 05-12, 45 p.Google Scholar
- Piringer, M., Grimmond, C.S.B., Joffre, S.M., Mestayer, P., Middleton, D.R., Rotach, M.W., Baklanov, A., De Ridder, K., Ferreira, J., Guilloteau, E., Karppinen, A., Martilli, A., Masson, V., Tombrou, M. 2002: Investigating the Surface Energy Balance in Urban Areas – Recent Advances and Future Needs. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus, 2, 1–16.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sass, B., Nielsen, N.W., Jørgensen, J.U., Amstrup, B., Kmit, M., Mogensen, K.S. 2002: The operational DMI-HIRLAM system – 2002-version. DMI Technical Report 02-05, 60 p.Google Scholar
- Unden, P., Rontu, L., Järvinen, H., Lynch, P., Calvo, J., Cats, G., Cuhart, J., Eerola, K. etc. 2002: HIRLAM-5 Scientific Documentation. December 2002, HIRLAM-5 Project Report, SMHI.Google Scholar
- Yang, X., Petersen, C., Amstrup, B., Andersen, B., Feddersen, H., Kmit, M., Korsholm, U., Lindberg, K., Mogensen, K., Sass, B., Sattler, K., Nielsen, W. 2005: The MDI-HIRLAM upgrade in June 2004. DMI Technical Report, 05-09, 35 p.Google Scholar