Converting H.264-Derived Motion Information into Depth Map
An efficient method that estimates the depth map of a 3D scene using the motion information of its H.264-encoded 2D video is presented. Our proposed method employs a revised version of the motion information. This is obtained based on the characteristics of the 3D human visual perception. The low complexity of our approach and its compatibility with future broadcasting networks allow its real-time implementation at the receiver, i.e. the 3D signal is delivered at no additional burden to the network. Performance evaluations show that our approach outperforms the other existing H.264-based technique by up to 1.5 dB PSNR i.e. it provides more realistic depth information of the scene. Moreover the subjective comparison of results (obtained by viewers watching the generated stereo video sequences on 3D display system) confirms the higher efficiency of our method.
Keywords2D to 3D conversion Depth map estimation 3D TV Stereoscopic TV
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Harman, P., Flack, J., Fox, S., Dowley, M.: Rapid 2D to 3D Conversion. In: Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 4660, pp. 78–86 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Tam, W.J., Soung Yee, A., Ferreira, J., Tariq, S., Speranza, F.: Stereoscopic image rendering based on depth maps created from blur and edge information. In: Proceedings of Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XII, vol. 5664, pp. 104–115 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Tam, W.J., Speranza, F., Zhang, L., Renaud, R., Chan, J., Vazquez, C.: Depth image based rendering for multiview stereoscopic displays: Role of information at object boundaries. In: Three-Dimensional TV, Video, and Display IV, vol. 6016, pp. 75–85 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, D., Min, D., Sohn, K.: Stereoscopic video generation method using motion analysis. In: Proceedings of 3DTV Conf., pp. 1–4 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Vetro, A., Pandit, P., Kimata, H., Smolic, A.: Joint Multiview Video Model (JMVM) 5.0, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/N9214, Lausanne, Switzerland (July 2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Fehn, C.: A 3D-TV system based on video plus depth information. Signals, Systems and Computers 2, 1529–1533 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Methodology for the subjective assessment of the quality of television pictures, ITU-R Recommendation BT.500-11Google Scholar