The first discussions with Konrad F. Springer in 1949 had strengthened our conviction that with the end of the Second World War, the preconditions for the operation of a German scientific publishing company had changed drastically, particularly regarding the worldwide reputation of German as the language of science. The shift of research centers to the Anglo-Saxon region, especially to the United States, had made the English language the lingua franca of the scientific world, although German has, to a certain degree, maintained its position up to the present, particularly in Eastern Europe. The other European countries, above all Scandinavia, where German had commonly been used as the scientific language, had adapted themselves completely to English. The numerous scientists who had emigrated from Germany were now writing in the language of their new country. Ultimately, the open-minded readiness of American research institutes to help in all areas of science soon after the war inspired many young researchers from Europe to move to the United States, anxious as they were to learn about the latest results of scientific work and to familiarize themselves with new methods.
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
© 1996 Springer-Verlage Berlin Heidelberg
About this chapter
Cite this chapter
(1996). Overseas Branches. In: Springer-Verlag History of a Scientific Publishing House. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-92888-1_3
Publisher Name: Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
Print ISBN: 978-3-540-61561-3
Online ISBN: 978-3-540-92888-1
eBook Packages: Springer Book Archive