Discussion and Conclusion
The last subsection brings us to wilder speculations that we have stayed away from throughout our discourse. In the SUSY conference, the context from which this book originally arose, ideas range widely, if not wildly. There are now a wide range of ideas regarding how electroweak symmetry breaking and its protection could occur in Nature. Some of these frameworks could touch upon flavor. To this author, from an experimental point of view, however, the question is identifying the smoking gun, or else it is better to stick to the simplest (rather than elaborate) explanation of an effect that requires New Physics. That has been our guiding principle. Most of the new(er) ideas related to EWSB are best tested by direct search at the LHC, rather than in flavor physics, since the problem of electroweak symmetry breaking and the problem of flavor are largely orthogonal issues.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.See, e.g. the brief review by Randall, L.: Science 296, 1422 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Amsler, C., et al.: Phys. Lett. B 667, 1 (2008); and http://pdg.lbl.gov/
- 12.Hou, W.S., Nagashima, M., Soddu, A.: Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 141601 (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.See, e.g., Gronau, M.: Talk at Flavour Physics and CP Violation Conference (FPCP2007), Bled, Solvenia, May 2007Google Scholar
- 22.Sakharov, A.D.: Pisma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 5, 32 (1967) [JETP Lett. 5, 24 (1967)]Google Scholar
- 23.Jarlskog, C.: Z. Phys. C 29, 491 (1985)Google Scholar
- 24.For a recent review, see the lectures by Cline, J.M.: hep-ph/0609145, given at Les Houches, France, summer 2006Google Scholar
- 25.Hou , W.S.: arXiv:0803.1234 [hep-ph] (unpublished)Google Scholar
- 27.Holdom, B.: JHEP 0608, 076 (2006)Google Scholar
- 31.See public note 9234 of the CDF Collaboration. http://www-cdf.fnal.gov/
- 33.See the webpage, http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceProgram.py?confId=33285, for ATLAS and CMS talks at the initiation workshop Beyond the 3rd SM generation at the LHC era, held at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland, September 2008