3-D Time-Accurate Inviscid and Viscous CFD Simulations of Wind Turbine Rotor Flow Fields
This paper presents the results of three-dimensional and time-accurate, parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulations of the flow field around a Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine (HAWT) rotor. Large Eddy Simulation (LES) methodology with an instantaneous loglaw wall model is used for the viscous computations. The 3-D, unsteady, parallel, finite volume flow solver, PUMA2, is used for the simulations. The solutions are obtained using unstructured moving grids rotating with the turbine blades. Three different flow cases with different wind speeds and wind yaw angles are investigated. Results for these three cases and comparisons with the experimental data are presented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Robinson, M. C., Hand, M. M., Simms, D. A., and Schreck, S. J. NREL/CP-500-26337, 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.Modi, A., Sezer-Uzol, N., Long, L. N., and Plassmann, P. E. AIAA Paper 2002–2750, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.Spera, D., Wind Turbine Technology: Fundamental Concepts of Wind Turbine Engineering, ASME Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.Sezer-Uzol, N. and Long, L. N. AIAA Paper 2006-394, 2006.Google Scholar
- 13.Sezer-Uzol, N. PhD Thesis, Dept. of Aerospace Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, Dec 2006.Google Scholar
- 14.Gupta, A. M.S. Thesis, Dept. of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, Aug 2006.Google Scholar
- 15.Souliez, F. J. PhD Thesis, Dept. of Aerospace Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, Aug 2002.Google Scholar
- 16.Jindal, S., Long, L. N., Plassmann, P. E., and Sezer-Uzol, N. AIAA Paper 2004–2228, 2004.Google Scholar
- 17.Duque, E. P. N., Burklund, M. D., and Johnson, W. AIAA Paper 2003-355, 2003.Google Scholar
- 18.Wilson, R. E. Collected Papers on Wind Turbine Technology, NASA CR-195432, May 1995.Google Scholar
- 19.Morris, P. J., Long, L. N., and Brentner, K. S. AIAA Paper 2004-1184, 2004.Google Scholar