Seasonal to Inter-annual Climate Prediction Using Data Mining KNN Technique
The impact of seasonal to inter-annual climate prediction on society, business, agriculture and almost all aspects of human life, force the scientist to give proper attention to the matter. The last few years show tremendous achievements in this field. All systems and techniques developed so far, use the Sea Surface Temperature (SST) as the main factor, among other seasonal climatic attributes. Statistical and mathematical models are then used for further climate predictions. In this paper, we develop a system that uses the historical weather data of a region (rain, wind speed, dew point, temperature, etc.), and apply the data-mining algorithm “K-Nearest Neighbor (KNN)” for classification of these historical data into a specific time span. The k nearest time spans (k nearest neighbors) are then taken to predict the weather. Our experiments show that the system generates accurate results within reasonable time for months in advance.
Keywordsclimate prediction weather prediction data mining k-Nearest Neighbor (KNN)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Sayuti, R., Karyadi, W., Yasin, I., Abawi, Y.: Factors affecting the use of climate forecasts in agriculture: a case study of Lombok Island, Indonesia. ACIAR Technical Reports Series, No. 59, pp. 15-21 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Murray-Ruest, H., Lashari, B., Memon, Y.: Water distribution equity in Sindh Province, Pakistan, Pakistan Country Series No. 1, Working Paper 9, International Water Management Institute, Lahore, Pakistan (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Stern, P.C., Easterling, W.E.: Making Climate Forecasts Matter. National Academy Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Landman, W.A.: A canonical correlation analysis model to predict South African summer rainfall. NOAA Experimental Long-Lead Forecast Bulletin 4(4), 23–24 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining Concepts and Techniques. Elsevier Science and Technology, Amsterdam (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Fix, E., Hodges, J.L.: Discriminatory Analysis - Nonparametric Discrimination: Consistency Properties. USAF school of Aviation Medicine, Randolph Field Texas (1951)Google Scholar
- 12.Larose, D.T.: Discovering Knowledge in Data: An Introduction to Data Mining. Wiley, Chichester (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Lettre, J.: Business Planning, Decisionmaking and Ethical Aspects of Seasonal Climate Forecasting (1999), http://members.aol.com/gml1000/busclim.html
- 16.Rogel, P., Maisonnave, E.: Using Jason-1 and Topex/Poseidon data for seasonal climate prediction studies. AVISO Altimetry Newsletter 8, 115–116 (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Basak, J., Sudarshan, A., Trivedi, D., Santhanam, M.S.: Weather Data Mining using Component Analysis. Journal of Machine Learning Research 5, 239–253 (2004)Google Scholar