Satellite Image Segmentation Using Wavelet Transforms Based on Color and Texture Features
Image segmentation is a fundamental process in remote sensing applications, whose main purpose is to allow a meaningful discrimination among constituent regions of interest. This work presents a novel image segmentation method based on wavelet transforms for extracting a number of color and texture features from the images. Traditional feature extraction techniques based on individual pixels usually demand high computational cost. To reduce such computational cost, while achieving high-quality results, our approach is composed of two main stages. Initially, the image is decomposed into blocks of pixels and a wavelet transform is applied to each block to identify homogeneous regions of the image, assigning the entire block to a class. A refinement stage is applied to the remaining pixels which belong to blocks marked as heterogenous in the first stage. The developed method, tested on several remote sensing images and compared to a well known image segmentation method, presents high adaptability to image regions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Shi, J., Malik, J.: Normalized Cuts and Image Segmentation. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 22 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Schwartz, W.R., Pedrini, H.: Color Textured Image Segmentation Based on Spatial Dependence Using 3D Co-occurrence Matrices and Markov Random Fields. In: 15th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision, Plzen, Czech Republic, pp. 81–87 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Singh, M., Singh, S.: Spatial Texture Analysis: A Comparative Study. In: International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 676–679 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Sun, J., Gu, D., Zhang, S., Chen, Y.: Hidden Markov Bayesian Texture Segmentation Using Complex Wavelet Transform. In: IEE Proceedings on Vision, Image and Signal Processing, vol. 151, pp. 215–223 (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.Unser, M.: Texture Classification and Segmentation Using Wavelet Frames. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 4, 1459–1560 (1995)Google Scholar
- 19.Gose, E., Johnsonbaugh, R., Jost, S.: Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis. Prentice-Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River (1996)Google Scholar
- 20.VisTex: Vision Texture Database (2008), http://vismod.media.mit.edu/vismod/imagery/VisionTexture/distribution.html