The Use of Semi-parametric Methods for Feature Extraction in Mobile Cellular Networks
By 2006, the number of mobile subscribers in Africa outnumbered that of fixed line subscribers with nearly 200 million mobile subscribers across the continent . By the end of 2007, it was estimated that the number of mobile subscribers would exceed 278 million subscribers . Mobile Telephony has been viewed as a critical enabling technology that is capable of boosting local economies across Africa due to the ease of roll out of wireless technologies in comparison to fixed line networks. With the boom in wireless networks across Africa, a growing demand to effectively predict the rate of growth in demand for capacity in various sectors of the network has risen with cellular network operators. This paper looks at using Spectral Analysis techniques for the extraction of features from cellular network traffic data that could be linked to subscriber behavior. This could then in turn be used to determine capacity requirements within the network.
KeywordsCellular networks cellular network traffic spectral analysis feature extraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ICT in Africa: Forging a Competitive Edge, ITU Connect Africa (October 2007), http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/connet/africa/2007/media/kit/africa_ict.html
- 2.Telecommunication/ICT Markets and Trends in Africa 2007, Connect Africa Summit, Kigali, Rwanda (October 2007), http://www.itu.int
- 4.Tutschku, K.: Demand-Based Radio Network Planning of Cellular Mobile Communication Systems. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Communication (INFOCOM), April 1998, (1), pp. 1054–1061 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Tutschku, K., Leibnitz, K., Tran-Gia, P.: ICEPT- An Integrated Cellular Network Planning Tool. In: Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), Phoenix, USA, May 1997, pp. 765–769 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Gawrysiak, P., Okoniewski, M.: Applying Data Mining Methods for Cellular Radio Network Planning. In: Proceedings of the International Intelligent Information Systems Conference, Advances in Soft Computing Journal. Springer, Heidelberg (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Khedher, H., Valois, F., Tabbane, S.: Traffic Characterization for Mobile Networks. In: 56th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), September 2002, vol. 3, pp. 1485–1489 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Camilleri, M.: Forecasting Using Non-Linear Techniques in Time Series Analysis: An Overview of Techniques and Main Issues. In: Computer Science Annual Research Workshop (CSAW 2004), September 2004, pp. 19–28 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Zivanovic, R.: Analysis of Recorded Transients on 765kV Lines with Shunt Reactors. In: Proc. Power Tech 2005 Conference, St. Petersburg, Russia (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Jordaan, J.A., Zivanovic, R.: Time-varying Phasor Estimation in Power Systems by Using a Non-quadratic Criterium. Transactions of the South African Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE), 95(1), 35–41 (March 2004) ERRATA: 94(3), 171–172 (September 2004)Google Scholar