A Novel Ensemble Approach for Improving Generalization Ability of Neural Networks
Ensemble learning is one of the main directions in machine learning and data mining, which allows learners to achieve higher training accuracy and better generalization ability. In this paper, with an aim at improving generalization performance, a novel approach to construct an ensemble of neural networks is proposed. The main contributions of the approach are its diversity measure for selecting diverse individual neural networks and weighted fusion technique for assigning proper weights to the selected individuals. Experimental results demonstrate that the proposed approach is effective.
KeywordsEnsemble learning diversity sensitivity fusion clustering the second training
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dietterich, T.G.: Ensemble Learning The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks, 2nd edn. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Sollich, P., Krogh, A.: Learning with ensembles: How over-fitting can be useful. In: Touretzky, D., Mozer, M., Hasselmo, M. (eds.) Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 8, pp. 190–196. MIT Press, Cambridge (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Schapire, R.E.: The strength of weak learnability. Machine Learning 5(2), 197–227 (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.Tang, J., Zeng, X., Lu, L.: Ensemble Learning Based on the Output Sensitivity of Multilayer Perceptrons. In: Proceedings of IEEE IJCNN, pp. 1067–1072 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Hagan, M.T., Demuth, H.B., Beale, M.H.: Neural Network Design. PWS Publishing Company (1996)Google Scholar