A Simple Yet Effective Diversifying Improvement of the Minimum Power Multicast Tree Algorithms in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
In this paper, we present an iterated algorithm framework that can be implemented with heuristics in the literature for the minimum energy multicasting problem in wireless ad hoc networks to improve the solution quality. We investigate three iterated algorithm implementations, IBIP, IOMEGa, ISOR, that are based on BIP, OMEGa, SOR. The algorithms run iterations to find better solutions of the problem and in each iteration, fixing the source node’s transmission power, the algorithm finds the intermediate solutions. And after all the iterations, the algorithm prunes the broadcast tree into a multicast tree and gives the output of the best solution so far. By fixing the source node’s transmission power we can achieve the diverse solution search without hurting the original algorithm’s theoretical performance bound. The experimental results confirm that the iterated algorithms significantly improve the solution quality.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cagalj, M., Hubaux, J.-P., Enz, C.: Minimum-Energy Broadcast in All-Wireless Networks: NP-Completeness and Distribution Issues. In: Proceedings of the international conference on Mobile computing and networking, pp. 172–182 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Cheng, M.X., Sun, J., Min, M., Du., D.-Z.: Energy-efficient Broadcast and Multicast Routing in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Performance, Computing, and Communications Conference, pp. 87–94 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Das, A.K., Marks, R.J., El-Sharkawi, M., Arabshahi, P., Gray, A.: Minimum Power Broadcast Trees for Wireless Networks: Integer Programming Formulations. In: Proceedings of INFOCOM 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Min, M., Pardalos, P.M.: OMEGa: an Optimistic Most Energy Gain Method for Minimum Energy Multicasting in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks (in submission, 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Min, M., Pardalos, P.M.: Total Energy Optimal Multicasting in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. Journal of Combinatorial Optimization (accepted, 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Montemanni, R., Gambardella, L.M.: Minimum Power Symmetric Connectivity Problem in Wireless Networks: A New Approach. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Mobile and Wireless Communication Networks (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Yuan, D.: Computing Optimal or Near-Optimal Trees for Minimum-Energy Broadcasting in Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of International symposyum on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks, pp. 323–331 (2005)Google Scholar