Transmission Scheduling for CBR Traffic in Multihop Wireless Networks
In multihop wireless ad hoc networks, interference from transmissions on nearby links makes it difficult to predict available bandwidth and reserve bandwidth for Constant Bit Rate traffic. In this paper, we present a MAC layer scheme that supports constant bit rate traffic through transmission scheduling. The paper details the sufficient condition on bandwidth requirement, and presents a time slot assignment algorithm that assigns each link a number of slots proportional to the traffic load on itself. The theoretical analysis proves that the sufficient condition is indeed sufficient to provide a network-wide collision-free transmission schedule, and the time slot assignment algorithm can completely avoid the hidden and exposed terminal problems. Through extensive simulations, we verified that a TDMA scheme serves much better than a random, contention-based scheme in the context of maximizing network throughput and providing guaranteed end-to-end data rate.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Lin, X., Shroff, N.B., Srikant, R.: A tutorial on cross-layer optimization in wireless networks. IEEE JSAC 24(8), 1452–1463 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Toumpis, S., Goldsmith, A.J.: Performance, optimization, and cross-layer design of media access protocols for wireless ad hoc networks. In: IEEE ICC 2003, vol. 3, pp. 2234–2240 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Ramanathan, R., Rosales-Hain, R.: Topology control of multihop wireless networks using transmit poweradjustment. In: IEEE Infocom 2000, vol. 2, pp. 404–413 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Cruz, R.L., Santhanam, A.V.: Optimal routing, link scheduling and power control in multihop wireless networks. In: IEEE Infocom 2003, vol. 1, pp. 702–711 (March/April 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Lin, X., Shroff, N.B.: The impact of imperfect scheduling on cross-layer rate control in wireless networks. In: IEEE Infocom 2005, vol. 3, pp. 1804–1814 (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Cui, S., Madan, R., Goldsmith, A., Lall, S.: Joint routing, MAC, and link layer optimization in sensor networks with energy constraints. In: IEEE ICC 2005, vol. 2, pp. 725–729 (May 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Luo, H., Lu, S., Bharghavan, V.: A new model for packet scheduling in multihop wireless networks. In: ACM Mobicom 2000, pp. 76–86 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Gambiroza, V., Sadeghi, B., Knightly, E.W.: End-to-end performance and fairness in multihop wireless backhaul networks. In: ACM Mobicom 2004, (2–4), pp. 287–301 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Johansson, M., Xiao, L.: Scheduling, routing and power allocation for fairness in wireless networks. In: IEEE VTC 2004-Spring, vol. 3, pp. 1355–1360 (May 2004)Google Scholar