Smoothing a Network of Planar Polygonal Lines Obtained with Vectorization
A new method of smoothing polygonal lines obtained as the result of vectorization and creating the network is suggested. This method performs not only smoothing but also filtering of vectorization errors taking into account that these errors appear not only as the errors of vertices but as errors of node coordinates as well. An important part of this algorithm is a technique of building piecewise polynomial base functions for local approximation of the polylines of the network. The suggested algorithm has a linear computational complexity for exponential weight functions. The necessity of using finite weight functions is shown. Algorithms of calculating tangents and curvatures are derived. Shrinking errors and errors of parameters are analyzed. A method of compensation of the shrinking errors is suggested and how to do smoothing with variable intensity is shown.
Keywordssmoothing error filtering local approximation polygonal lines network of polylines weight functions vectorization line drawings
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asada, H., Brady, M.: The curvature primal sketch. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 8(1), 2–14 (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.Ver Hoef, J.M., Peterson, E., Theobald, D.: Spatial statistical models that use flow and stream distance. Environmental and Ecological Statistics 13(4), 449–464 (2006), http://www.springerlink.com/content/a36r0kt6570537q0/fulltext.pdf CrossRefMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- 7.Pavlidis, T.: Algorithms for Graphics and Image Processing. Computer Science Press (1982)Google Scholar
- 9.Knuth, D.E.: The Art of Computer Programming. Addison-Wesley, Reading (September 1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Burghardt, D.: Controlled Line Smoothing by Snakes. GeoInformatica 9(3), 237–252 (2005), http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&eissn=1573-7624&volume=9&issue=3&spage=237 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kondor, R.I., Lafferty, J.: Diffusion Kernels on Graphs and Other Discrete Structures. Machine Learning. In: Proceedings of the Nineteenth International Conference, pp. 315–322 (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Taubin, G.: Curve and Surface Smoothing without Shrinkage. In: Proceeding, Fifth International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 852–857 (June 1995) Google Scholar