Self-Organization Simulation over Geographical Information Systems Based on Multi-Agent Platform
In this paper, we present a review concerning the coupling of Geographical Information Systems with agent-based simulation. With the development of new technologies and huge geographical databases, the geographers now deal with complex interactive networks which describe the new Geopolitics and world-wide Economy. The aim here, is to implement some self-organization processes that can emerge from these complex systems. We explain how we can today model such phenomena and how we can implement them in a practical way, using the concept of complex systems modelling and some efficient tools associated to this concept.
Key wordsComplex systems Self-organization Geographical Information System (GIS) Individual-based model (IBM) Agent-based modeling and simulation (ABMS)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Agent Analyst 2008]Agent Analyst web site (2008) http://www.institute.redlands.edu/agentanalyst/AgentAnalyst.html.
- [Aziz-Alaoui et al. 2006]Aziz-Alaoui; M.A.; and C. Bertelle editors (2006) Emergent Properties in Natural and Artificial Dynamical Systems. Collection “Understanding Complex Systems”, Springer.Google Scholar
- [Bertelle et al. 2006]Bertelle, C.; Dutot, A.; Guinand, F.; and D. Olivier (2006) Organization Detection using Emergent Computing. Int. Transactions on Systems Science and Applications, Special Issue Self-Organizing, Self-Managing Computing and Communications, vol. 2(1), 61-69.Google Scholar
- [Gessler 2008]Gessler, N. (2008) Building Complex Artificial Worlds. http://gessler.bol.ucla.edu/, http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/geog/gessler/borland/segregation.htm.
- [Ghnemat et al. 2006]Ghnemat, R.; Oqeili, S.; Bertelle, C.; and G.H.E. Duchamp (2006) Automata-Based Adaptive Behavior for Economic Modeling Using Game Theory in M.A. Aziz-Alaoui and C. Bertelle (eds) Emergent Properties in Natural and Artificial Dynamic Systems, Understanding Complex Systems series, Springer.Google Scholar
- [Gimblett 2002]Gimblett, H.R editor (2002) Integrating Geographic Information Systems and Agent-based Modeling Techniques. Santa Fe Institute studies in the sciences of complexity, Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- [Goodchild et al. 1991]Goodchild, M.F.; Rhind, D.; and D.J. Maguire (1991) Geographical Information Systems: Principles and Applications, Longman, New York.Google Scholar
- [Ligman-Zielinska 2005]Ligman-Zielinska, A. (2005) Agent Analyst tutorial - Schelling GIS, San Diego University.Google Scholar
- [Repast 2008]Repast web site (2008) http://repast.sourceforge.net.
- [Singh et al. 2004]Singh, A.; and M. Haar (2004) Topology adaptation in P2P Networks using Schelling’s model. Workshop on Emergent Behavior and Distributed Computing, PPSN-VIII.Google Scholar
- [Wooldridge 2002]Wooldridge, M. (2002) An introduction to MultiAgent Systems, John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar