Floating-Point Gröbner Basis Computation with Ill-conditionedness Estimation
Computation of Gröbner bases of polynomial systems with coefficients of floating-point numbers has been a serious problem in computer algebra for many years; the computation often becomes very unstable and people did not know how to remove the instability. Recently, the present authors clarified the origin of instability and presented a method to remove the instability. Unfortunately, the method is very time-consuming and not practical. In this paper, we first investigate the instability much more deeply than in the previous paper, then we give a theoretical analysis of the term cancellation which causes loss of accuracy in various cases. On the basis of this analysis, we propose a practical method for computing Gröbner bases with coefficients of floating-point numbers. The method utilizes multiple precision floating-point numbers, and it removes the drawbacks of the previous method almost completely. Furthermore, we present a practical method of estimating the ill-conditionedness of the input system.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sasaki, T., Kako, F.: Floating-point Gröber Basis Computation with Ill-conditionedness Estimation. Technical Report of Univ. of Tsukuba, in (December 2007), http://www.math.tsukuba.ac.jp/~sasaki/papers/ASCM2007
- 4.Cox, D., Little, J., O’Shea, D.: Ideals, Varieties, and Algorithms. Springer, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Kako, F., Sasaki, T.: Proposal of “effective” floating-point number. Preprint of Univ. Tsukuba (May 1997) (unpublished)Google Scholar
- 8.Kondratyev, A., Stetter, H.J., Winkler, S.: Numerical computation of Gröbner bases. In: Proceedings of CASC 2004 (Computer Algebra in Scientific Computing), St. Petersburg, Russia, pp. 295–306 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Sasaki, T., Kako, F.: Computing floating-point Gröbner base stably. In: Proceedings of SNC 2007 (Symbolic Numeric Computation), London, Canada, pp. 180–189 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Shirayanagi, K.: An algorithm to compute floating-point Gröbner bases. In: Mathematical Computation with Maple V. Ideas and Applications, pp. 95–106. Birkhäuser, Basel (1993)Google Scholar
- 16.Stetter, H.J.: Approximate Gröbner bases – an impossible concept? In: Proceedings of SNC 2005 (Symbolic-Numeric Computation), Xi’an, China, pp. 235–236 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Traverso, C.: Syzygies, and the stabilization of numerical Buchberger algorithm. In: Proceedings of LMCS 2002 (Logic, Mathematics and Computer Science), RISC-Linz, Austria, pp. 244–255 (2002)Google Scholar
- 19.Weispfenning, V.: Gröbner bases for inexact input data. In: Proceedings of CASC 2003 (Computer Algebra in Scientific Computing), Passau, Germany, pp. 403–411 (2003)Google Scholar