Brief Announcement: An Early-Stopping Protocol for Computing Aggregate Functions in Sensor Networks
Nodes in a Sensor Network can collaborate to process the sensed data but, due to unreliability, a monitoring strategy can not rely on individual sensors values. Instead, the network should use aggregated information from groups of sensor nodes [2,3,7]. The topic of this work is the efficient computation of aggregate functions in the highly constrained Sensor Network setting, where node restrictions are modeled as in , the random node-deployment is modeled as a geometric graph, and the resulting topology, node identifiers assignment and the assignment of input-values to be aggregated is adversarial.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bawa, M., Garcia-Molina, H., Gionis, A., Motwani, R.: Estimating aggregates on a peer-to-peer network. Technical report, Stanford Univ., Database group (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, J.-Y., Pandurangan, G., Xu, D.: Robust computation of aggregates in wireless sensor networks: distributed randomized algorithms and analysis. In: Proc. of the 4th Intl. Symp. on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, p. 46 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Farach-Colton, M., Fernandes, R.J., Mosteiro, M.A.: Bootstrapping a hop-optimal network in the WSM. ACM Trans. on Algorithms (in press, 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Fernández Anta, A., Mosteiro, M.A., Thraves, C.: An early-stopping protocol for computing aggregate functions in sensor networks. Technical Report 3, LADyR, GSyC, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (May 2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Jerrum, M., Sinclair, A.: Conductance and the rapid mixing property for markov chains: the approximation of permanent resolved. In: Proc. of the 20th Ann. ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, pp. 235–244 (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Kempe, D., Dobra, A., Gehrke, J.: Gossip-based computation of aggregate information. In: Proc. of the 44th IEEE Ann. Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 482–491 (2003)Google Scholar