Heterogeneous Parallel Aero-Acoustics Using PACX-MPI
Recent simulations are incorporating more and more aspects of the real world. Each aspect generally needs its own numerical scheme in the simulation. Thus very different numerical requirements for efficient computing are combined within a single simulation. This work looks specifically at the fully integrated simulation of fluid dynamic and aero-acoustic effects. On the architectural side of modern computing hardware there is a diversification going on, a wide range of concepts is considered to gain ever more performance. The two trends result in the need to map the computational requirements of the applications to the available heterogeneous resources efficiently. This work uses PACX-MPI to distribute the distinct parts of the simulation on to clusters with different properties. It is shown how the heterogeneity of both, the computation and the computing resources can be beneficial.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gabriel, E., Resch, M., Beisel, T., Keller, R.: Distributed computing in a heterogeneous computing environment. In: Proceedings of the 5th European PVM/MPI Users’ Group Meeting on Recent Advances in Parallel Virtual Machine and Message Passing Interface, Lecture Notes In Computer Science, vol. 1497, pp. 180–187 (1998) Google Scholar
- 2.Hesthaven, J.S., Warburton, T.: Nodal Discontinuous Galerkin Methods: Algorithms, Analysis and Applications. Springer (2007) Google Scholar
- 3.Keller, R., Müller, M.: PACX-MPI project homepage. http://www.hlrs.de/organization/amt/projects/pacx-mpi
- 4.v. Kowalevsky, S.: Zur Theorie der partiellen Differentialgleichungen. Ph.D. thesis, Philosophische Fakultät zu Göttingen (1874) Google Scholar
- 5.Morris, P.: Scattering of sound by a sphere: Category 1, problems 3 and 4. In: Proceedings of Second Computational Aeroacoustics (CAA) Workshop on Benchmark Problems (1997). NASA/CP-1997-3352 Google Scholar