A Framework for Distributing Real-Time Functions
The design of critical embedded real-time systems requires high confidence in the architecture and the implemented functionalities. Classically, such functions are supported on a single monoprocessor, behavior of which is completely predictable, while the execution is totally deterministic. With the growing complexity of systems, it becomes quite unavoidable to implement these systems on distributed architectures. Scaling from mono to multiprocessor raises several issues which we address in this paper: we propose a simple executive model based on time triggered paradigm and an automated approach to allocate real-time tasks based on constraint resolution techniques. We illustrate the method on an industrial case study.
KeywordsDistributed systems Constraint programming Industrial case study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Che02]Cheng, A.M.K.: Real-Time Systems: Scheduling, Analysis, and Verification. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York (2002)Google Scholar
- [Eke04]Ekelin, C.: An Optimization Framework for Scheduling of Embedded Real-Time Systems. PhD thesis, Chalmers University of Technology (2004)Google Scholar
- [FAB05]Fisher, N., Anderson, J.H., Baruah, S.: Task partitioning upon memory-constrained multiprocessors. In: RTCSA 2005: Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Embedded and Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications, pp. 416–421. IEEE Computer Society Press, Washington (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [HCDJ07]Hladik, P.-E., Cambazard, H., Déplanche, A.-M., Jussien, N.: Solving a real-time allocation problem with constraint programming. Journal of Systems and Software 5(4), 335–357 (2007)Google Scholar
- [ILO]ILOG. OPL Studio, http://www.ilog.com/products/oplstudio/
- [PEP04]Pop, P., Eles, P., Peng, Z.: Analysis and Synthesis of Distributed Real-Time Embedded Systems. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2004)Google Scholar
- [RvBW06]Rossi, F., van Beek, P., Walsh, T. (eds.): Handbook of Constraint Programming. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2006)Google Scholar
- [SGR07]Sethu, R., Ganesan, P.V., Raravi, G.: A formal framework for the correct-by-construction and verification of distributed time triggered systems. In: IEEE Symposium on Industrial Embedded Systems (SIES 2007). IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- [SK03]Szymanek, R., Kuchcinski, K.: Partial task assignment of task graphs under heterogeneous resource constraints. In: Proceedings of the 40th conference on Design Automation (DAC 2003), pp. 244–249 (2003)Google Scholar
- [SW00]Schild, K., Würtz, J.: Scheduling of time-triggered real-time systems. Constraints 5(4), 335–357 (2000)Google Scholar