An Operational Real-Time Ocean Sensor Network in the Gulf of Maine
The Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System (GoMOOS) was established in the summer of 2001 as a prototype real-time observing system that now includes eleven solar-powered buoys with physical and optical sensors, four shore-based long-range HF radar surface current systems, circulation and wave models, satellite observations, and hourly web delivery of data.
The Gulf of Maine is a harsh operational environment. Its winter storms pose severe challenges including the build up of sea ice on buoy sensors, superstructure, and solar panels, and in summer its productive waters present severe biofouling problems that can affect the optical sensors. The periods of most difficult operations often coincide with periods of greatest data value in terms of marine safety, search and rescue, and monitoring biological productivity. GoMOOS scientists and engineers continue to refine system designs and operational procedures to moderate the environmental stresses on the sensors and systems.
KeywordsOcean Observing Systems Sensor networks real-time GoMOOS neural networks ocean optics CODAR Gulf of Maine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sinclair, M., Wilson, S., Subba Rao, D.V.: Overview of the biological oceanography of the Gulf of Maine. In: Proceedings of the Gulf of Maine Scientific Workshop, Woods Hole Massachusetts, pp. 91–111 (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Bigelow, H.B.: Physical Oceanography of the Gulf of Maine. Fish. Bull. 511-1027 (1927)Google Scholar
- 7.Wallinga, J.P., Pettigrew, N.R., Irish, J.D.: The GoMOOS moored Buoy Design. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Oceans 2003 conference, pp. 2596–2599 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Roesler, C.S., Boss, E.: In situ measurements of the inherent optical properties (IOPS) and potential for harmful algal bloom (HAB) detection and coastal ecosystem observations. ch. 5. In: Babin, M., Cullen, J.J., Roesler, C.S. (eds.) Real-time Coastal Observing Systems for Ecosystem Dynamics and Harmful Algal Blooms. UNESCO Series Monographs on Oceanographic Methodology (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Pettigrew, N.R., Roesler, C.S.: Implementing the Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System (GoMOOS). In: IEEE proceedings of Oceans 2005 (Europe), Brest France, pp. 1234–1241 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Pettigrew, N.R., Wallinga, J.P., Neville, F.P., Schlenker, K.R.: Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System: Current Measurement Approaches in a Prototype Integrated Ocean Observing System. In: IEEE Proceedings, Eighth Current Measurement Technology Conference 2005, pp. 127–131 (2005)Google Scholar