Combined Electromagnetic and Thermal Analysis of Permanent Magnet Disc Motor
The paper presents a methodology for coupling electromagnetic and thermal phenomena in a permanent magnet disc motor performance analysis. Both the electromagnetic and thermal analysis is performed using two-dimensional finite element method (FEM). Due to the complex geometry of the disc motor a proper modelling of the motor is performed. The thermal analysis is performed based on the losses calculated from the electromagnetic FEM analysis, as well as the measured ones. To show the validity of the proposed method, a test bench is realised and temperatures in specific points are measured and afterwards compared with the calculated ones using FEM analysis.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Cvetkovski, L. Petkovska, et al., Quasi 3D FEM in Function of an Optimisation Analysis of a PM Disk Motor, Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines-ICEM ’2000, Helsinki, Finland, Vol. 4/4, pp. 1871–1875, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Cvetkovski, L. Petkovska, et al., PM Disc Motor Parameter Estimation Using FEM Data, Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Electric and Magnetic Fields-EMF2003, Aachen, Germany, pp. 191–194, 2003.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Cvetkovski, L. Petkovska, Performance Evaluation of an Axial Flux PM Motor Based on Finite Element Analysis, Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Electromagnetic Fields in Mechatronics, Electrical and Electronic Engineering-ISEF’2005 on CD, Baiona, Spain, pp. 1–6, 2005.Google Scholar
- 4.P. H. Mellor, D. Roberts, D. R. Turner, Lumped Parameter Thermal Model for Electrical Machines of TEFC Design, IEE Proceedings-B, Vol. 138, No. 5, pp. 205–218, September 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Sahin, A. J. A. Vandenput, Thermal Modelling and Testing of High-speed Axial-flux Permanent-magnet Machine, Proceedings of 15th IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines-ICEM ’2002, Brugge, Belgium on CD, pp. 1–9, 2002.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Hamayer, U. Pahner, R. Belmans, H. Hedia, Thermal Computation of Electrical Machines, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Electric and Magnetic Fields–EMF1996, Liege, Belgium, pp. 61–66, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Cvetkovski, L. Petkovska, S. Gair, Efficiency Improvement of PM Disc Motor Using Genetic Algorithm, Proceedings of the 9th Spanish Portuguese Congress on Electrical Engineering – 9CHLIE’2005 on CD, Marbella, Spain, pp. 1–7, 2005.Google Scholar