Comparison of Two Multi-Agent Algorithms: ACO and PSO for the Optimization of a Brushless DC Wheel Motor
Particle swarm optimization (PSO) and ant-colony optimization (ACO) are novel multi-agent algorithms able to solve complex problem. By consequence, it would seem wise to compare their performances for solving such problems. For this purpose, both algorithms are compared together and with Matlab’s GA in term of accuracy of the solution and computation time. In this paper the optimization is applied on the design of a brushless DC wheel motor that is known as a nonlinear multimodal benchmark.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Dorigo, V. Maniezzo, and A. Colorni, Ant system: optimization by a colony of cooperating agents, IEEE Trans. Systems Man Cybernet – Part B26 (1), Italy, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.Kennedy and R.C. Eberhat, Particle swarm optimization, IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Perth, Australia. IEEE Service Center, Piscataway, NJ, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Hou, Y. Wu, L. Lu, and X. Xiong, Generalized ant colony optimization for economic dispatch of power system, Power System Technology, Proceedings PowerCon, vol. 1, pp. 225–229, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Venkataraman, Applied Optimization with Matlab®; Programming. Wiley, New York, 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Moussouni, S. Brisset, and P. Brochet, Some results on the design of the brushless DC wheel motor using SQP and GA, International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics-IJAEM, vol. 3, 4-2007. http://12ep.univ-lillel.fr/come/benchmark-wheel-motor.htm.
- 7.D. Joshua, D. Knowles, L. Thiele, and E. Zitzler, A tutorial on the performance assessment of stochastic multi-objective optimizers, TIK-Report No. 214, Computer Engineering and Networks Laboratory, ETH Zurich, February 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Colette and P. Siarry, Three new metrics to measure the convergence of meta-heuristics towards the Pareto frontier and the aesthetic of a set of solutions in bi-objective optimization, available online at http://www.sciencedirect.com.
- 9.S. Brisset and P. Brochet, Analytical model for the optimal design of a brushless DC wheel motor, COMPEL 24(3), 2005.Google Scholar
- 11.F. Moussouni, S. Brisset, and P. Brochet, Some results on the design of the brushless DC wheel motor using SQP and GA, Int. J. Appl. Electromagn. Mech.–IJAEM, 3: 4, 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.A. Colorni, M. Dorigo, and M. Maniezzo, Investigation of some properties of an ant algorithm, Proceedings of the Second Conference on the Parallel Solving from Nature, Bruxelles, pp. 509–520, 1992.Google Scholar