Lag or Error? — Detecting the Nature of Spatial Correlation
Theory often suggests spatial correlations without being explicit about the exact form. Hence, econometric tests are used for model choice. So far, mainly Lagrange Multiplier tests based on ordinary least squares residuals are employed to decide whether and in which form spatial correlation is present in Cliff-Ord type spatial models. In this paper, the model selection is based both on likelihood ratio and Wald tests using estimates for the general model and information criteria. The results of the conducted large Monte Carlo study suggest that Wald tests on the spatial parameters after estimation of the general model are the most reliable approach to reveal the nature of spatial correlation.
KeywordsOrdinary Little Square Wald Test Data Generate Process Spatial Error Model Lagrange Multiplier Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ANSELIN, L. (1988a): Lagrange Multiplier Test Diagnostics for Spatial Dependence and Spa-tial Heterogeneity. Geographical Analysis, 20, 1-17.Google Scholar
- ANSELIN, L. (1988b): Spatial Econometrics: Methods and Models. Kluwer Academic Pub-lishers, Boston.Google Scholar
- BELITZ, C. and LANG, S. (2006), Simultaneous selection of variables and smoothing param-eters in geoadditive regression models. In H.-J. Lenz, and R. Decker (Eds.):Advances in Data Analysis. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- FLORAX, R.J., and DE GRAAFF, T. (2004): The Performance of Diagnostic Tests for Spatial Dependence in Linear Regression Models: A Meta-Analysis of Simulation Studies. In:L. Anselin, R.J. Florax, and S.J. Rey (Eds.): Advances in Spatial Econometrics - Methodology, Tools and Applications. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, 29-65.Google Scholar
- FLORAX, R.J., and REY, S.J. (1995): The Impacts of Misspecified Spatial Interaction in Lin-ear Regression Models. In: L. Anselin, R.J. Florax, and S.J. Rey (Eds.): New Directions in Spatial Econometrics. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, 111-135.Google Scholar
- HENDRY, D. (1979): Predictive Failure and Econometric Modelling in Macroeconomics: The Transactions Demand for Money. In: P. Ormerod (Ed.): Economic Modelling. Heine-mann, London, 217-242.Google Scholar
- KELEJIAN, H., and PRUCHA, I. (2006): Specification and Estimation of Spatial Autore-gressive Models with Autoregressive and Heteroskedastic Disturbances, unpublished manuscript, University of Maryland.Google Scholar