Ad Auction Design and User Experience
- 1.8k Downloads
When users click on poor quality advertisements, there is a hidden cost to the search engine due to the user dissatisfaction (for instance, users are less likely to click on ads in the future). We describe how to incorporate hidden costs into the GSP auction for internet ads such that it is in an advertiser’s self interest to create a user experience that maximizes efficiency.
KeywordsSearch Engine User Experience Shopping Mall Price Auction Auction Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abrams, Z., Ghosh, A.: Auctions with revenue guarantees for sponsored search. Workshop on Sponsored Search Auctions (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Backmann, M., McGuire, C.B., Winsten, C.B.: Pigouvian pricing and stochastic evolutionary implementation. Studies in the Economics of Transportation (1956)Google Scholar
- 3.Basker, E.: Job creation or destruction? labor market effects of wal-mart expansion. Review of Economics and Statistics 87(1), 327–353 (1982)Google Scholar
- 4.Cary, M., Das, A., Edelman, B., Giotis, I., Heimerl, K., Karlin, A., Mathieu, C., Schwarz, M.: Greedy bidding strategies for keyword auctions. In: Conference on Electronic Commerc (EC) (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Gould, E.D., Pashigian, B.P., Prendergast, C.J.: Contracts, externalities, and incentives in shopping malls. Review of Economics and Statistics (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Immorlica, N., Jain, K., Mahdian, M., Talwar, K.: Click fraud resistant methods for learning click-through rates. Workshop on Internet and Network Economics (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Lahaie, S., Pennock, D.M.: Revenue analysis of a family of ranking rules for keyword auctions. ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Pandey, S., Olston, C.: Handling advertisements of uknown quality in search advertising. Neural Information Processing Systems Conference (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Pigou, A.C.: Wealth and Welfare (1912)Google Scholar
- 13.Roughgarden, T., Sundararajan, M.: Is efficiency expensive? In: Third Workshop on Sponsored Search Auctions (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Varian, H.R.: Position auctions. International Journal of Industrial Organization (2005)Google Scholar