A Practical Fuzzy Logic Controller for Sumo Robot Competition
This paper describes the design of fuzzy logic based sumo wrestling robot. The designed robot has a simple control algorithm and single fuzzy microcontroller is used in hardware implementation. The designed robot meets the specifications needed to compete in a sumo robot competition. The main difference of the designed system with earlier sumo robots is in control algorithms. A simple fuzzy logic controller is developed for detection and tracking of opponent in competition ring. Three infrared (IR) sharp sensors are used for target detection. Fuzzy microcontroller fuses the sensor data’s and provides the necessary control signal to motors for heading robot toward the opponent. The fuzzy rules were optimized for the best results possible in software which are loaded in fuzzy controller. The implemented control algorithm shows better performance and executes the opponent detection algorithm in less time in comparison with conventional sumo robot algorithm. Design procedure and experimental results are presented to show the performance of the intelligent controller in designed system.
KeywordsFuzzy Logic Mobile Robot Control Algorithm Fuzzy Rule Fuzzy Controller
- 1.Driankov, D., Saffiotti, A.: Fuzzy Logic for Autonomous Vehicle Navigation. Springer, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Liu, J., Pok, C.K., Keung.: Learning: coordinated maneuvers in complex environments: a sumo experiment. In: CEC 99 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Sharp Corporation: Distance Measuring Sensor GP2D120. Spec. ED-99170 (99)Google Scholar
- 7.Winfact 6: Simulation program, http://www.kahlert.com
- 8.ST Microelectronics: ST52F513 sheet’s. FUZZYSTUDIOTM5 User Manual ( 2001)Google Scholar