Multiscale Boundary Identification for Medical Images
Boundary identification in medical images plays a crucial role in helping physicians in patient diagnosis. Manual identification of object boundaries is a time-consuming task and is subject to operator variability. Fully automatic procedures are still far from satisfactory in most real situations. In this paper, we propose a boundary identification method based on multiscale technique. Experimental results have shown that the proposed method provides superior performance in medical image segmentation.
KeywordsBoundary identification multiscale edge detection
- 1.Withey, D.: Dynamic edge tracing: recursive methods for medical image segmentation, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Alberta, Canada (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Mallat, S., Zhong, S.: Characterization of signals from multiscale edges. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 14(7), 710–732 (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Tang, Y.Y., Yang, L., Feng, L.: Characterization and detection of edges by Lipschitz exponents and MASW wavelet transform. Proc. Intl. Conf. on Pattern Recognition 2, 1572–1574 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.MNI data set (August 2005), http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/brainweb/
- 7.Wang, Z.Y.: Multiscale Boundary Identification for Medical Images. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Alberta, Canada (2007)Google Scholar